TechSpot

Expect more PCIe solid state drives and cheaper TLC-based units next year

By Shawn Knight
Dec 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. PCI Express solid state drives are expected to become the storage option of choice for high-end systems next year according to market research firm TrendForce. The company’s DRAMeXchange division also believes we will see more three-bit TLC flash-based drives hit...

Read more

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,155   +233

I remember how neat it was to install a 2 MB RAM expansion card (16 bit ISA) on my '286. Cost about the same as this ($600-$700) - of course that was in 1986 dollars.

I've been thinking about SSD, but my wish would be for a 64GB RAM Drive - long way from 2MB.

H3llion likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 2,992   +1,244

Can it automatically migrate data from perfocards? If yes, it might be time for an upgrade...

mosu likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Too bad RAM price trends are going in the completely opposite direction.

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon TS Enthusiast Posts: 160   +50

JC713,

But RAM is still cheap. 16GB is only $130-140 for DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133. I bought my SSD at of $0.50 per GB in 2012. Fast forward more than 1 year and I cannot really get a fast SSD for less than this. You would think the prices of flash memory would drop 40-50% every 12 months or you could buy 40-50% more capacity for the same price and it isn't happening. By next year, we should be able to buy a 250GB SSD for $100 and 512GB for $200.