Expect more PCIe solid state drives and cheaper TLC-based units next year

By Shawn Knight
Dec 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. PCI Express solid state drives are expected to become the storage option of choice for high-end systems next year according to market research firm TrendForce. The company’s DRAMeXchange division also believes we will see more three-bit TLC flash-based drives hit...

Read more
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TechSpot Booster Posts: 177   +38

I remember how neat it was to install a 2 MB RAM expansion card (16 bit ISA) on my '286. Cost about the same as this ($600-$700) - of course that was in 1986 dollars.

I've been thinking about SSD, but my wish would be for a 64GB RAM Drive - long way from 2MB.
    H3llion likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,673   +510

Can it automatically migrate data from perfocards? If yes, it might be time for an upgrade...
    mosu likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,853   +889

Too bad RAM price trends are going in the completely opposite direction.
  5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 148   +41

JC713,

But RAM is still cheap. 16GB is only $130-140 for DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133. I bought my SSD at of $0.50 per GB in 2012. Fast forward more than 1 year and I cannot really get a fast SSD for less than this. You would think the prices of flash memory would drop 40-50% every 12 months or you could buy 40-50% more capacity for the same price and it isn't happening. By next year, we should be able to buy a 250GB SSD for $100 and 512GB for $200.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.