Experience the '80s all over again with the Double Dragon Trilogy for Android and iOS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There are a ton of great games already available for Android and iOS but for me, it’s all about retro gaming. And now I can add another '80s staple to my mobile collection as the Double Dragon Trilogy is now available for both platforms.

The bundle includes Double Dragon, Double Dragon 2: The Revenge and Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (no, I didn't make that last one up). All of the original levels and the soundtracks are present but with a modern flare. That means the difficultly can be a bit easier than you probably remember in the arcades or on the NES as there are now three difficulty settings to choose from. Players can even opt for a remastered soundtrack if they so choose.

Of course, you’ll be using touch controls this time around although we are told the Trilogy will eventually work with many popular gamepads. I suspect either the Logitech PowerShell or the MOGA Ace Power would be excellent selections to pair with an iPhone or iPod touch. Two-player mode is still possible via Bluetooth and gamers can play in arcade or story mode.

Priced at only a buck per game, the Trilogy is a solid buy if you’re interested in reliving the adventures of Billy and Jimmy Lee on the go. It won’t be the same as playing the originals but it probably won’t be too far off the mark.

Unfortunately, the Battletoads are nowhere to be found but beggars can’t be choosers, right?

Permalink to story.

I still play this game sometimes using a emulator and yes the knee kick, man I discovered knee kick by mistake then I distinctly remember try to press buttons randomly before finally I got the combo to pull it off and use it again and again.

Battletoads was way too hard. I could never make it past that speeder level. And I only even made it there like 1 out of every 5 tries.

I remember there was one level which had rollers at different speeds and you had to jump across from one end to other. I was playing 2 player mode with my friend sitting next to me, I made it to the other end and he kept falling off, then he asked me to clear it for him by giving me his joystick and then we finished the game together.
DD2 is a great game.

I remember friends would get pissed at each other and focus on elbowing each other than fighting the enemy.

Back