Exploding Galaxy Note 7 causes almost $1400 worth of damage to hotel room

midian182

Staff member

Samsung last week announced its decision to recall the millions of Galaxy Note 7 handsets it had sold since August 19, following reports that the phones were exploding while charging. But some owners have yet to hand back the devices and are finding that they’re still going up in smoke.

Over in Australia, Samsung has recalled 50,000 Note 7s, but there hadn’t been reports of any unwanted fires - until now. A Melbourne man named Tham Hua revealed on Reddit that his phone exploded during the charging process while he slept next to it in a Perth hotel, causing over $1380 worth of damage.

Hua, who goes by the username “Crushader” on Reddit, said the Note 7 “fizzed and then popped open,” before bursting into flames. “'Please do not use the phone anymore, it is dangerous and not worth the risk,” he added.

“Phone completely fried, I can’t eject the SIM tray to retrieved [sic] my SIM or the SD card. I was using original charger and cable if you are wondering. Charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my finger [sic] while doing that too.”

Samsung said that up until September 1 there had been 35 cases of exploding Note 7s reported globally.

"I knew of the recall and lodged my application with Samsung as soon as they announced officially on Friday, and now three days later it has happened to me," said Hua.

After visiting a Samsung store, Hua was given a Galaxy J1 loan device (you would have thought they’d give him an S7) and was assured that the company would take care of the bill for the damages to the hotel.

Before reports of the explosions started coming in, many reviewers called the Note 7 “the best smartphone you can buy.” With big rival Apple unveiling its iPhone 7 today, the damage to Samsung’s reputation has come at a bad time – don’t be surprised if Apple has a subtle dig at the South Korean firm’s combustible devices during the press event.

All images: Tham Hua/Crushader/Reddit

Permalink to story.

What was ironic to me, was it was the KOREAN produced battery that is suppose to cause the
problem, not the CHINESE produced version. Everyone rails on "cheap Chinese junk", but this
time it was the OEM's home nation the produced the battery in question.

Everyone rails on "cheap Chinese junk"
Everything is made in China this days, so the cheap Chinese junk no longer applies, it's cheap company specs.

For the titles in techspot for crashing and burning and exploding quoting amounts of damages worth in dollars, I'm getting pretty disappointed with the pictures and/or videos in the end :(

A burnt sheet and marked rug is not that impressive =P

What was ironic to me, was it was the KOREAN produced battery that is suppose to cause the
problem, not the CHINESE produced version. Everyone rails on "cheap Chinese junk", but this
time it was the OEM's home nation the produced the battery in question.
First, there are two (2) Chinas. Taiwan and Mainland China.

Given the same equipment, the people working there make the factory what it is or isn't.

Pride in a job well done, isn't restricted to any location, or even pay grade.

OTOH, China(s) nor Korea have equivalent government organizations to our OSHA. It's easier to abuse the system. Consider this famous pet food recall: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls

I still don't consider Samsung a "name brand". It's probably a personal problem, but to tell the truth, the last Samsung monitor I bought was junk. It was a TN panel which I bought for the pivoting stand. (I use vertical/ portrait orientation for the web and photos) I never could get the green out of the POS. So, it's upstairs in a box, while I sit in front of a Dell and an HP writing this post, (Both are IPS).

I used to sell Audio equipment, and the product which was "feature loaded" was usually the most unreliable crap, while the simpler but better made stuff like Kenwood, Pioneer, and even Sony, didn't have quite so many buttons.

Which always gives me pause to wonder if the tech heads here know what they're getting into, by clamoring for longer battery life, along with more features.

Everything is made in China this days, so the cheap Chinese junk no longer applies, it's cheap company specs.

For the titles in techspot for crashing and burning and exploding quoting amounts of damages worth in dollars, I'm getting pretty disappointed with the pictures and/or videos in the end :(

A burnt sheet and marked rug is not that impressive =P
Actually they might be, considering that might have been a 4 star hotel, with 100 dollar sheet sets, and $45.00 a sq. yard carpeting. And you know they're going to have to replace the whole room's carpet, so the color matches.

I still don't consider Samsung a "name brand". It's probably a personal problem, but to tell the truth, the last Samsung monitor I bought was junk. It was a TN panel which I bought for the pivoting stand. (I use vertical/ portrait orientation for the web and photos) I never could get the green out of the POS. So, it's upstairs in a box, while I sit in front of a Dell and an HP writing this post, (Both are IPS).

I used to sell Audio equipment, and the product which was "feature loaded" was usually the most unreliable crap, while the simpler but better made stuff like Kenwood, Pioneer, and even Sony, didn't have quite so many buttons.

just like any other brand some of their products are decent and some are completely crap. Moreover, you cannot figure it out based on "premium" and "entry level" classification - I.e. you can get a nice, reliable entry level phone or an expensive, loaded with issues device, which you sent three times back for service. Truly depends on a product by product basis. I vowed to never make a purchase decision based on brand alone.

Last edited:
Pete, I kinda wish you'd straighten that post out a bit. "Recall it", as it were....:D

Thanks Pete! (y)

Last edited:
Actually they might be, considering that might have been a 4 star hotel, with 100 dollar sheet sets, and $45.00 a sq. yard carpeting. And you know they're going to have to replace the whole room's carpet, so the color matches.
I'm not saying that it's not worth it, it's just disappointing in the sense you are expecting something bigger =P

I'm not saying that it's not worth it, it's just disappointing in the sense you are expecting something bigger =P
The next generation of phones will likely be about seven inch screens in 4K, then you'll see the fireworks when one of their batteries blows up! :eek:(y):)

I've still got my old Kenwood Amp, Klipsch speakers and wouldn't part with them for anything.
Speaking of audio equipment....remember "Pacific Stereo" back in the day? :p
:eek:

I've still got my old Kenwood Amp, Klipsch speakers and wouldn't part with them for anything.
Speaking of audio equipment....remember "Pacific Stereo" back in the day? :p
:eek:
Actually no, as they never made it to the east coast where I've been all my life. I can however, cite you chapter and verse about the mergers and failures of the audio and record chains in my neck of the woods.

I used to go through amps, tuners, receivers, and particularly cassette decks a hellin' though.

I still have a Sony STRV-400 (? I think that's the number, it's on a high shelf), the first consumer digital synthesized receiver released to the general public,

As for speakers, I had JBL-D130 + 074 ring radiators in 5 CF cabinets. Dear God how I miss them so. Oh well, those things were ungodly loud in my little row house. I'd probably have been stone deaf or shot to death by now, if I still had them...

@Kibaruk I forgot to mention in my post above. The trouble with hoping for gory footage of cell phones exploding, is the phones which are exploding, are what everyone uses to take their videos with.

Now if people would get into the habit of carrying 2 phones, one to film the other one, we'd be in flaming battery video heaven...
You just have to remember to carry the 2nd phone in a different pocket from the one most likely to go up in flames.:eek::D

Back