Explorer acting retarded, please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovvn.you

hi, when i right click on most files on my computer, all windows close and the screen goes blank(background alone stays), and it practically logs back into windows, is there a problem with explorer.exe? any suggestions on a fix? please help me out, this is getting very aggrevating

A faulty Explorer shell extension appears to be the problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

- http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Right_click_or_Ctrl-C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

whoa, you nice and detailed just the way i like it, the laptop is down for a bit, ill try that asap, ty for the reply, ill most likely remove windows and put mac os x tiger on it when i boot it back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back