Explorer crashes when right-clicking on a .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickshot

Hello everyone.
It's been a long time since my last thread here. I am again asking for your kind help because I know you're all reliable people here who helped me greatly in the past.

Don't look at my system specs in my profile as these have not yet been updated and concern my Personal Computer. The problem I'm having concerns my new notebook which is an Acer Aspire 6920G.

Here are its specs :
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1 GHz
Mainboard : Intel PM965
Memory : 2048MB, DDR2 PC5300 667MHz
Graphics adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS - 512 MB
Harddisk : 320GB 5400rpm WDC WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0
Soundcard : Realtek ALC889

Some additional info : I got this laptop around two months ago. One week ago I did a "clean" install of Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit on it by doing a format on partition C in order to remove all the unnecessary programs that Acer put on the laptop and which took a good amount of space. So I then installed most of my drivers I think and some needed Acer programs from the recovery discs that I did before. I have Avira AntiVir Premium installed, Outpost Firewall Pro installed as well as A-squared installed which combined together, I think, consist of a very good protection.

Here is the description of the problem now :
Yesterday, I remarked a strange problem : whenever I right-clicked on a file with the .exe extension, the opened window where the .exe was located closed itself as well as any other windows. In fact, it was like an "explorer" crash but there was no error message. I looked in the event viewer and in the "windows logs", in the "application" part, I saw : "Event 1002, WinLogon : The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted." It doesn't only happen when I right-click on a .exe but also when I Ctrl+C on it.
I noticed that I can start the application without any problems when I double left click on it.

I really don't know what kind of problem this might be, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply CCT. I followed your advice but didn't use autoruns. I used ShellExView which seemed easier for me. The first entry I disabled was actually the one that was causing the crash issues. Its name is "CmdLineContextMenu Class" and in its description it's written : "SecuROM context menu for explorer".
Like I said before, this solved the issue. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back