explorer.exe-application error

By kapscoe
May 12, 2006
  1. I get the following error everytime I open up a particular drive and sometimes on other drives as well. I can access the contents by using ACDSEE but whenever I open them in explorer it shows the error and then on clicking either ok or cancel it just shuts down the explorer and then starts again. I use win xp service pack 2.
    explorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x1f......" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory can not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program
    OK Cancel
    PS the initial address is always different.
  2. TypeX45

TypeX45 TS Rookie Posts: 144

You can run a test to see it the file structure of your hard drive is corrupt but if not try a backup and reinstall of the system.
  3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

or it could be caused by a corrupted media file (eg: tv capture, mpeg..)
    did you have your explorer to browse with preview on?
    you can try moving suspect file to a different folder untill you find which one it is..

run memtest to check your ram as well as chkdisk /f and/or a hdd diagnostic utillity (available via download from your hdd manufacturer's website)
    scan your pc for nasties -virii, warez.. (related or not, just to cross off one lot of variables)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.