explorer.exe crashes and blames shdocvw.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

uber_beetle

Today started out with this message: One of the files in the registry database had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
First I tried a system restore point and it didn't get better. Then, I thought I was being smart and used my new found skills with the recovery console and went through the motions with it. Turns out I almost killed it... so I used the copies of the system restore point registry files that I needed last time.. and she came back to life.

Now however, I 've got a new version of my problem. If I run anything directly related to windows, explorer takes a shi... shi.. a ... shiii... dump. I can't get into any folders, I can't start IE (fortunately I hate IE so I use firefox instead and it seems to be mostly unaffected) I can't run a downloaded file that I think may help me.. (that being KillBox to stop a particular dll from being used at startup-- because this thread seems to sound like my problem: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1122527413)

Everytime I do one of those things, I get the message that Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needed to close.

Anyway, the worst part is I'm sitting here with a mortally wounded 3200+ AMD, 250gig Windows XP SP2 behemoth.. and my stupid old Windows 98 machine still works happily. WTF?

Can anyone offer any help with this one? Give it to me straight doc.. I've got ... a virus haven't I?

Its probably a virus or spyware. It could also be a minor hard drive error. You need to scan for all 3 first off.

Do you have any antivirus and antispyware software? If so, what?

I have AVG free and spybot s&d. Both come up negative. I even ran AVG's vcleaner. I keep reading about backdoor trojans.. and after the 15 year old me that is still in my head all these years later stops giggling... I am leaning toward it being one of those. Only thing is I can't think of anything I downloaded that would put me at risk... but even so I can't get to the folder where I keep my downloads even if I had an idea of what to go delete.

As Windows Explorer is basically IE.Maybe the following might help -

1.Use regsvr32 and sfc /scannow commands as described HERE

Or

2.Reinstall IE.

Insert the Windows XP CD.

Start / Run and type or copy and paste: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

Press ENTER.

EDIT :Backdoor trojans hee,hee

I hit too many roadblocks last time.. so I wiped it clean and reinstalled. Also picked up the full security suite from my provider. Seems reasonably happy. I'm still having a minor hardware issue (I think) but that's another story in itself.

Thank you for your assistance. =)

uber_beetle said:
Also picked up the full security suite from my provider.
ISPs are not noted for the quality or efficiency of their security software.

Best go with Kerio/Zone Alarm,AVG,Spybot,Ad-Aware,Spywareblaster etc.

the final solution.. to my computer problem.

I found that I needed a new hard drive. The stupid thing would just make up new issues on a regular basis... I decided to swap out my Sata2 WD drive and put in an IDE Maxtor... and while it's a hair slower in read time... it works perfectly now.

Thanks to everyone who was looking into my various questions regarding what sort of issues my machine had.

~uber_beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back