Explorer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Elliah

A client's PC keeps popping up this error whenever I try to browse file folders, or install applications.
This issue does not occur in safe mode.
PC is running Windows XP Professional on SP3.

I first issue I found on the PC was that McAfee was completely corrupted, I.e. upon startup, clicking on the tray icon yielded a white square where the McAfee interface would normally display, and the application would not load at all. There was also a pop up that McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. I assumed somehow the installation had corrupted and tried to uninstall the application, however, ran into the explorer issue.
Further investigation found there was a kavo item being triggered during startup. After following instructions online to remove all traces of the worm, I also ran the McAfee software removal tool to uninstall McAfee (note all this could only take place in safe mode).

As of now, I'm left with the explorer.exe issue, which I still am unable to resolve. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The only sensible solution in my opinion is a clean re-install.

Others might say try sfc /scannow. Or on XP a repair installation is possible which does not replace existing data and (many) settings.

There may be, but the amount of time and trouble trying to find and apply and test numerous solutions is likely to far exceed the time and trouble of performing a re-install or repair install. That is my opinion. The reasoning is that malware that disrupts things, especially disrupting macafee anti-malware which appears to have been trashed as well, means that the PC is now in an unstable state. Better to get back to a known configuration, you see ?

That is why most expert PC users spend their time arguing about which is the best drive imaging software !! They don't have to be sold on the need for that at all !!

Back