explorer.exe problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonik

In my task manager my explorer.exe is taking up 100% of the cpu usage nearly 100% of the time..

Ive tried closing programs and using msconfig to lower the cpu usage, ive also used all the virus removers available like Norton and AdAware and spywarebuster to remove viruses, but it still uses a high cpu usage..

i dont know what the problem is, if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks..

Let`s check your system for any possible nasties.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log as a .txt attachment into this thread.

If it turns out ot be a virus/spyware problem, I will move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards Howard :)

Your HJT log is clean.

I therefore doubt whether your problem is caused by a virus/spyware infection.

Take a look at this thread HERE. It may help.

Regards Howard :)

I somehow missed this thread.

The problem is.AVI or other video files,that Windows is trying to create thumbnail views for.

The solution is to go to Start/Run/and type -

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

That stops Windows from producing thumbnails for videos.

You might also have to delete any rogue .AVI files,using the command prompt.

some antimalwares

First eliminate the temporary fils with this software (excellent): CleanUp40.exe - you also can find it for free - many malwares put themselves in Temporary Files; on the other find, you'll spare time for the scanners to do the scans faster (avoid these sometimes huge folder full of ****).

Then try this excellent software: Blacklight Kitroot eliminator - it will find spys that hide in your computer.
Also try this one: Bazooka Spyware Scanner - similar, but you have to delete yourself the malwares found - it will redirect you for help on their site.

Also try Ewido anti-malware 3.5 (you can find it for free); it will scan very thoroughly your computer.

Also try AboutBuster.exe - can be found for free

Also try Spywareterminator.exe (also free); it will install on your computer though (like Ewido too - the others are run each time you need them) - it found me some trojans ...

If some malwares can not be eliminated by the scanners that nevertheless found them, try these two softs: KillBox.exe and ATF Cleaner; both open windows that ask for the path of the malware you want to delete; as you already will know it from the scanners - they give the path of what they find, you just put it in their windows and will be able to delete the ****.

Also try Smitfraud.Fix.exe - you can find it for free (pay attention of what you decide to delete though)
and of course Hijackthis - similar as the previous one.
If you don't know what to delete put the infos from the logs these both softs create in a forum, maybe somebody will be able to help you.

And the last thing: avoid using Norton, especially the Spysweeper that comes with it - I had problems with them (even on Microsoft site it is written that they can cause problems - especially with windows explorer.exe).
Pay very much attention if you want to uninstall them (an inappropriate uninstallation will cause your computer to become instable) - Go to appropriate sites where it is explained how to uninstall this antivirus suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back