Explorer & Firefox stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBoW

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my webbrowsers. Here's the situation:

Had a problem with my windows as described in thread below:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123763.html

What I ended up doing is installing windows on a different partition and am using that now as my OS (on drive D:). I installed Win XP Pro with SP1, did all the updates so now I have SP3 and all the other updates for windows.

For some reason when I start my Internet Explorer it will work fine for a few minutes and when you click on a link it stops working (as if the internet is disconnected). I installed FireFox to see if that is better (and am loving it!), but that will also stop working after I start a torrent program. same thing it's as if there is no internet connection, whilst the torrent program will work fine no matter what.

Now I have used the connection fault finding that IE provides and it said there was something wrong with the Winsock and it would reset it, but no matter how often I do this it will not get fixed.

I have had issues with the Winupdates as well during the installation, and on their site it said to check the services.msc and start the

- Auto updates
- BITS
- Event log

This enabled me to get the updates, but internet is still intermittent.

I have a LAN connection, so permanently connected. I've never had problems with my internet before and due to the fact that the torrent program is working fine I assume that the hardware and connection is working fine. So this must be a software related issue.

I apologise for the vague description, but that's the best I can do.

Is there anybody out there that could help me to get this thing to work fulltime?

UNINSTALL the torrent software
download, install and run lspfix

then get a command prompt (run->cmd) and enter

netsh winsock reset

Found the problem.....some 250 viruses, trojans, malware etc. found after a scan with Avira!!!

Who would've thought that a computer could be riddled with these immediately after Windows installation.

Anyhow, it's fixed now, firefox works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back