Explorer gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I made a computer a while back for my friend, and ever since we have not gotten it running stable.

At first, we got a problem with Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check. I swaped out the IDE cable to the drive and it wasn't the problem. This happened on multiple installations. I tried installing from the different drive but both of them didnt work at sometimes. Windows installation kept on having errors and never continued. Tried again in the alternate drive after using a drive configuration utility and didnt work, did drive utility again next day it was OK, windows installed fine.

Until I gave it to my friend, he said he played starcraft the night he got it and all of a sudden his computer shut down again. Prior to getting his computer this time, I gave it to him before and the same thing happened. He said he turned it on and he could only see his aim application (start on boot), and no start menu and icons and has black background. I figured it was explorer. So I told him to do Ctrl+Alt+Del to check to see if explorer.exe was running. Nope. I told him to do New Task to initiate explorer, and that doesn't work. Don't remember if he said it says error or doesnt say anything.

He's running Windows XP SP2 and had all the patches downloaded and updated the system. Had an antivirus updated all the way, as well as anti spyware utilities (ad-aware, spybot, and spyware blaster) all of which were updated.

Off the top of my head:

K8N
AMD64 2800+
512MB DDR400
Radeon 9600(SE or pro)

Any help would greatly be appreciated. The time to return his parts or exchange has passed.

Thank you.

What drive utility did you use on it ? ?
Whose hard drive? ?
Is this an original XP CD or a slipstream?

patio. :cool:

patio said:
What drive utility did you use on it ? ?
Whose hard drive? ?
Is this an original XP CD or a slipstream?

patio. :cool:

It's a maxtor I believe. Downloaded Maxtor drive utility and ran the maintenence. I was running it off a really bad CD to begin with, and my friend just ran out and bought XP SP2, clean and free of scratches.

Much help appreciated. My friend is still computerless for almost 2 weeks now.

I pretty much think its hardware... I need more opions

Can you guys possibly direct me to another forum that may have the answer?

Thanks.

Well, basically, its just explorer isn't loading, it makes a black background, and the start bar and icons don't show. Just trying to get some help on what the problem may be. I know it has to be hardware somewhere down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back