Ext HDD wont reformat (doesnt show in my comp)

iamaphoenix

Hello!

firstly, I've checked 10+ threads on here about this. and found the gigantic guide

https://www.techspot.com/community/...ix-unassigned-drive-letter.122125/#post720762

Followed the steps and I still cant reformat the drive. Shows up on disk management, won't let me initialize it. Tried the different options under the format section. nothing. Tried the low level format tool and the drive didn't even show up on it. actually only my internal HDD did.

Its a 1tb DW mybook, with independent power supply. have tried different cables, nothing. tried on my desktop, saw it in my comp, tried to copy the data, it failed halfway through and now its gone. nothing I do can get it to show back up. I dont even need the data, just trying to help my parents. None of the programs I've found have worked.

Any ideas? THANK YOU!!!! =)

Is it possible you have the Mac version of that device?? What computer do the parents have?

Its possible the drive controller died. Personally I'd buy a $15 external USB 3 dock and open up the enclosure and physically remove the drive and put it in the dock. It isn't as elegant 'looking' of a solution, but it will let you know for sure if your drive is dead and external docks are incredibly handy for troubleshooting 2.5 and 3.5" sata drives.

Back