Extended Desktop with TV

By Strung Out
Oct 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, i want to run my TV as an extended desktop. I have a 7600GT graphics card, 2x DVI 1x SVideo output. My TV has multiple AV inputs with RGB and Svideo and also one with a VGA input.

I have the adapter for the graphics card that plaugs into the Svideo output and splits into RGB and SVideo.

What is the best way to do this. Use a DVI>VGA adapter and run a long VGA cable to the TV or run RGB cables.

Or am i complete n00b and going about this all the wrong way? haha.

Any help appreciated :grinthumb
  2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,198   +105

Just run a single s video lead to your tv :) That will do the job nicely.
  3. Strung Out

Strung Out Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Alright, thanks man! I was beginning to think noone was gunna help haha
  4. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,198   +105

No problems. :)
  5. Janes

Janes Newcomer, in training Posts: 77

Carefull

Hey.

Just keep in mind to make the cable as short as possible.

I had the exact same setup, only a long cable and the image on the other side was horrible.

So long SVGA = Very Bad Quality!

Ciao
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

I'd run the RGB if possible, that is thicker wires carrying 3 color signals to the TV. S-Vid carries 2 and they aren't directly colors.

DVI-> VGA might be your best bet for good quality though. If you live in the US you can get cheap VGA cables at www.monoprice.com
  7. Strung Out

Ahh the cable/s will have to be about 6m long, not in US either. I had a better look last night and the SVideo on the back of my video card is a 7 pin, so i will have to use the splitter (3x RCA 1x 4pin SVideo) as my TV only has 4pin. should i run just the 3 RCAs? or 1 Svideo and 2 RCAs for audio?
  8. Janes

Janes Newcomer, in training Posts: 77

Well. Like i said, long S-video cable gives you bad quality, so I would say your best bet will be the 3 RCA's. Let me know how it goes.
  9. Strung Out

Ok thanks, ill give it a shot this weekend.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.