Extending The Length Of A Twin USB Cable ?

By mallarduk
Nov 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New forum member, first post.

Last week I bought a Simpletech 250GB external hard drive (as I did not want a mains powered unit) and did not discover until I opened the box that it had a twin USB connection to power it.

I tried it with only one of the USB's but it could not be detected by Windows Explorer.

My problem is that the supplied cable is only 1ft long and so I have to move the HD onto my chair arm everytime I move the laptop onto my lap. It's a pain and I just know I'll forget to pick it up sometime and it'll fall.

I don't suppose you can get an extension for a twin USB cable and my idea was to buy a USB hub. My question is - will that work ? With the hub connecting to the laptop with only one USB, can I then connect both hard drive USBs into the hub and have enough power for it to be picked up by the laptop systems ? If so, will any old (cheap) hub do ?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Ian
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, mallarduk, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, i expect using a hub will work as i expect it's using 2 usb ports for the extra power and i think the hub tells windows that it's basically got an extra 2, 4 etc ports so that it can have several devices running at a time. I have a hub on eBay at the moment but it's only usb 1.1 ;)
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You could also just get two $1 USB cables.. Male USB A - Female USB A type. Tape them together if you like :)
  4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

true, that will probably work out cheaper too unless you want really long ones
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.