External Access To FTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

ok so heres the deal, i have an FTP server setup using FIlezilla Server , it is only accessible from my home network using my computer's internal network (LAN) IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx)...i used Dyndns.com to make a domain for my WAN IP address...now when i open this domain address as HTTP , it opens up my router config page!!!! y does that happen???? and if i do it like FTP://domain.blabla.com it asks for a username and password, when i put the login for FTP user account, nothing happens....and the Server client interface does not show whether any attempt was made to connect to the server..

PLZ HELP ME, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IS IT SOMETHING WRONG IN THE ROUTER CONFIG?

P.S : I HAVE FORWARDED PORT 21 TO MY PC (i.e the pc which hosts the server)

FTP needs two ports; 20 and 21; forward both to the lan address of the FTP server.

As for external access to your router; O U C H ! :mad:
you should never forward port 80 into your system(s) Unless you also have a webserver active. Also be sure you have changed the router admin password.

i forwarded port 20 along with port 21, nothing changed...i even reset my router and still , when i open dyndns address the router's config page comes up, but i asked my friend to open the address and it didnt come up for him, now what is the problem?

>> Also be sure you have changed the router admin password.!!!
Did you?

hmm; from you to a friend? Which one of you have the ftp server running. It doesn't come
on our Client Systems {XP, Vista, Win/7} -- it's only available on Windows Server editions

try this from a CMD prompt
telnet yourFTP ipaddress(or the domainname) 21​
you should get back ...
Connected to xxxx
Escape character is '^]'.
220--- something​
What do YOU see?

the IPaddress of the system with the active ftp service OR
use the domainName if you have one(in which case BOTH must work)

ok, so when i type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx it says

'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

my my! haven't see that issue before. Every system I've seen has
\windows\system32\telnet.exe

try the absolute path to it please

[btw: I have a business appointment and will be offline for a few hours ...]

hey the server aint even working from within my home network, i tried from the other pc and it is not working....only works from my pc :p (which is the WANNABE server itself)

and as for the telnet.exe , i checked on the other pc it also does not have it, i have windows 7 so maybe its not meant to be there

oh goody :( you certainly have a connectivity issue -- likely to be the firewall is block all inputs.

I would have recommended WinAudit as a means to document what you have running,
but not at all certain it will run on Win/7.

by firewall you mean the firewall in my PC or the firewall of the router??? and heres another thing i would like to tell you, media sharing, a feature in win7 does not work from my PC...i mean, other PC's dont see my shared media , but i can see the shared media of other PC in my home.....are these problems related?

by firewall you mean the firewall in my PC or the firewall of the router???
the PC firewall for a certainty, and if your modem/router has the FW feature, it should have defaulted to correct settings -- unlikely you would have changed them.
and heres another thing i would like to tell you, media sharing, a feature in win7 does not work from my PC...i mean, other PC's dont see my shared media , but i can see the shared media of other PC in my home.....are these problems related?
Let's solve one problem at a time :)

i restored default setting for my PC firewall ( windows firewall) and as i told u earlier i had already reset my router...but still the server aint even accessible from the internal network!!!! i remember that a long time ago i made a server that was accessible atleast from my home network!

yes, it is easily done -- I have Apache on my laptop and do this every day.

for all LAN attached devices, access is via the IP address
for the server machine, the firewall must permit
inbout tcp any src-ip dest port xxx (whatever the server uses)

for external access, the router just port forwards port xxx to the server ip-address.

try this
1. Click , type cmd in the Start Search box,
right-click cmd.exe, click "Run as administrator", and then press Continue.
2. Type netsh winsock reset
3. Type netsh int ip reset
4. Type netsh interface ip delete arpcache​

sorry - - I can't solve it from here - - it needs hands-on.

Post#18 is your outline for the solution; get someone locally to help you

you should get FTP working on your LAN before you experiment with
port forwarding from your router.

CAVEAT EMPTOR; FTP is insecure and the passwords are sent in clear text, ie unencrypted.

Once FTP is running, you should opt to use SSH instead of FTP -- it has secure passwords and data exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back