External Drive Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Windows XP MCE computer with 2 external HDDs that I use to store my movies on. These are connected using USB2.0. I try not to turn off my computer too often, but I also keep those external HDDs on as well. A friend of mine wondered if having them on without use much of the time will wear them out faster. He thought HDDs are spinning whether in use or not.
So, my question is there a way to put those external drives in hibernation or some other mode when not in use? I think this would help in power consumption as well.
In addition, it there a way to have them turn on/off automatically when the computer reboots if they're hooked up through USB 2.0?

Tuening them off an on frequently will casue more wear than leaving them on. the only likely cause for concern about leaving them on would be if you use enclosures without a fan for ventilation.

power management should enable you to turn off/on harddrives for sets amount of time. I wouldn't have them turn off less than 20 minutes. This puts excessive wear on them. However, if you set it for 20 or more, that should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back