External DVD/cd rom drive

By SHOGO
Jan 19, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it possible for an external DVD/CD rom drive, to boot CDs such as System restore discs?? my cd/dvd drive on my laptop is broken so i need an alternative to use my system restore disc on when my laptop have viruses or errors so was wandering if an external dvd/cd drive conected by USB can still boot CDs when starting up the laptop??
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,753   +156

If you can detect a USB device in the boot list of the bios, you can do this. Most older systems won't do this though. Do you have a restore utility in the Control Panel?
  3. SHOGO

SHOGO Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i looked in the control panel nothing showing up called restore utility.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,753   +156

I recently worked on a Sony Vaio Laptop. It did have a restore utility that allowed me to "restore" the laptop to it's original factory state. The motherboard and CD R/W were toast. I'm still waiting on a replacement CD R/W...

You may be able to find just a plain CD for your model, and use it temporarily to reinstall your OS, apps and drivers. I have a IBM notebook CD R/W, but it's interface is different than the Sony, That's one thing about laptops/notebooks... They are all diferent!
  5. SHOGO

SHOGO Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

yeah i used my bro's OS disc werent sure if it would work well since its used for his custom CPU, i was able to format the hardrive with it and install windows/drivers. i think would probably need to get a new integrated cd drive now thanks for your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.