TechSpot

External hard disk not opening

By Ali2107n
Nov 30, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello . I connected my hard disk to a notebook . Had to use a different adaptor for notebook and it damaged notebook screen and also my hard disk affected apparently .
    Now in my own notebook it shows the hard disk but can not open. It shows unallocated in disk management .
    I tried possible solutions I could find in web, but still not working. I assume that voltage change affected this as I read in a post in microsoft page. But still cant fix it . I d be very grateful if you can help me fixing it.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

That "different adapter" probably damaged the external hard drive, so that nothing can be recovered. Have you tried any "free" recovery tools. Google is your friend

3. Ali2107n

Ali2107n TS Rookie Topic Starter

It doesnt allow for format or any other change.
    It gives error : I/O device error .
    In properties it shows it works fine
    I read somewhere it is because of cpu voltage change. From c1 to c2 and had some changes in register . But that didnt fix either.

4. Tmagic650

The I/O Device error means that the drives on-board controller has been damaged

5. Ali2107n

First thank you for reply. Second ,is it possible to fix ?

6. Tmagic650

No, not really. If you had an identical drive you could remove its logic board and assemble it on the bad drive and try to recover data that way

7. Ali2107n

Thank you :'(