External Hard Drive Issue

By Garyis5150
Oct 5, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Recently my imac began to "eject" one of my external hard drives on its own. The external drive is a WD 3.0 TB drive. I plugged it back in and it showed up as normal. The next day it disappeared and does not show up anywhere.

I have a device that I have used to recover items off of other drives that have become un-accessable. So when I hook it up it says my computer cannot read the drive on the computer. It does show up in disk utility. It shows as uninitialized with 0 space remaining on the drive. This is the second drive to do this on a mac for me. I know it was initially formatted correctly. Will one of the software recovery programs work with this issue or should I just go to a professional place to try and recover? Is there anything else I can try on my end?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,158   +599

Sorry to inform you but the 3 & 4 TB versions of the WD external have low reliability and a high return / failure rate. Strangely the 1 & 2 TB versions are far more reliable.
    Garyis5150 likes this.
  3. Garyis5150

Garyis5150 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah im figuring out that bigger isn't always better.