TechSpot

External Hard Drive Problem

By jshields13
Jul 25, 2005
  1. I finally bit the bullet and bought a hard drive for backing up my system (P3, 733mg, XPSP1 home). It is a internal Western Digital 80g. I also got a USB enclosure for it so I can use it externally. I followed the enclosure directions and set the jumper on master. My computer would not even recognize the HD. I then set the jumper to single. This was recognized. I used the wizard that came with the HD to partition and format. It set at 1 partition and started formating. After 30 minutes of nothing happening, I stopped the program. I unplugged everything and started over. This time I specified custom setup and made 2 partitions of about 40g each. The computer restarted and the 2 partitions showed up in explorer as drive G and F. When I clicked on G, it said it was not formated and would I like to. I said yes. Again, after 30 minutes of apparantly nothing happening, I stopped the formating. According to Dell, the format should not take more than about 15 minutes.

Did I mess up the HD by stopping the process? I am exchanging it for a new one tonight on the way home from work, but I thought you guys could give me some tips on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it.

I look forward to your sage advise!

Jeff

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.