External hard Drive Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends internal Hard drive recently died and they bought a new one. they have an external hard drive that they sent their backups too, but after installing the new internal drive and windows (xp) the external drive is not recognized. it's labeled as EISA under the boot disk partition manager, but in windows it just says fat32 and healthy but their is no drive letter and I can't add one. how do I get access to this external drive? sorry if this seems a bit disjointed but I've been playing around with this computer all day trying to get it to work and I'm running out of patience. and and all help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. reformatting the drive is out of the question until I can get the backed up files outta it.

are the drivers applied to xp for the drive to work? if it is a usb2 to get things up too speed the os will have to have SP2 and since I do not know what kind of a drive it is I don't know what drivers it needs.

Its a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 usb 2.0 drive. Windows does have SP2 installed. Everything I could find on Maxtor's site says no drivers except what windows has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back