External HDD inaccessible, incorrect parameter

[FONT=arial]help! I have wd my passport 500gb external hdd, yesterday I tried to copy a file from my hdd and it fails, I searched the internet and I think it have bad sectors, so I try to scan for bad sectors with hddscan (it's my first time). I run the surface test and I found out that my hdd have about 1100 bad sectors. everything works just fine after that until I unplug the usb cable from my laptop and plug it into my computer. when I open windows explorer I can see the hdd drive but couldn't open it, it just freeze until a message popped up it says "incorrect parameter". please help! I need the data really bad, my whole life depends on it :([/FONT]

[FONT=arial]and it's my fault I didn't do any backup before, so am I dead yet?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]oh and I'm a total noob, if you need any additional information please tell me how to get it, please, any kind of help would be appreciated[/FONT]

Physically, I think your HDD is stuffed. Sad to say.
Bad sectors are often a sign that the drive is about to completely fail. Bad sectors are unrepairable so it will make your HDD considerably smaller in Volume.

There is software out there that can claim to fix some bad sectors, but I would put my money to a new HDD.

Thankfully my friend told me to use UFS explorer, and it works like magic. I can copy my data for backup, well only about 70% of it, but at least my most important research data has been rescued.

So it's busted? I can't believe it, it hasn't even been a year yet since I bought it. What should I do to prevent this from happening again in the future?

Thanks, btw :)

No problem Wiby,

Nice, it's good to hear you recovered at least some of it. :{D

Ways to prevent this happening again in the future:
  1. Treat your Ext. HDD like an egg, don't bump it or drop it.
  2. Always use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media " program
  3. Make sure your Ext. HDD is in a cool environment. Over-heating causes some data loss.
Those are the basics, and there are more ways to prevent including some software.
But that's all I can think of now.

Also keep in mind when you buy an Ext. HDD there is always a chance you may get a "Dud" HDD, or one already damaged either due to freight damage or just bad design.

So hold on to your receipt.

Back