External modems vs. Internal modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

conradguerrero

I know that external modems are prefered for gaming, but what about the performace during uploads and downloads.

I know that phone lines have a max data rate, but I am wondering if external modems are more consistent than internal modems that use your cpu?

I've used internal modems since my first 28.8 died, and never had any problems with it...
As long as you don't get a "winmodem", you won't see any increased cpu usage when comparing to an external modem... (But they might cost a tad more)

Not quite sure what to say... the "performance" of a modem is limited to the quality of your phoneline and the modem on the other end (as long as you've got a quality modem, and not "El Cheapo's Special Modem"....)

You might experience a bit "better" performance with an interal modem, as it isn't limited by your com port settings.... (But I doubt you'll get any noticeable difference)

Note: If you go for an internal modem, make sure it's not a winmodem (it doesn't require a special program running for it to operate), and that it's a quality modem... That will save you from a lot of hassle...

Usually external modems work better with more OS's. Most of the time you can just plug the bugger in and go. Internal modems can either be very expensive (hardmodem) or very cheap (win/softmodem). Like MrG said...

I use internal modems too. Even though I could just set the modem on the floor behind my computer...it's just another extraneous thing that's outside the case that could easily be out of your way inside the case.

Winmodem(internal) are best to be avoided as it does not have it's own chipset...it ultilizes part of the cpu to operate. Base on my personal experience if you have a slow cpu..your pc might hang for a while if your try to disconnect as the modem is attempt to connect to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back