External or internal HD-looking for best practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddappete

I've about filled up an internal HD to an HP notebook and I need to decide if the best approach is to 1) see if I can get a larger internal HD, or 2) if it is just simpler to go with an external for storing all general files and keeping my programs on the internal.........?

Any thoughts?

And, no matter which route I take is there a clear list of things to do in the order of doing? Like, being careful what I do to my OS and other programs?

pete

Get a larger internal if your HP will support a larger capacity drive. Use an external drive to back up important files like documents, pictures and music, removing these from time to time from the internal drive

If you go internal, you will want to have some way to clone your old disk onto your new one so you don't have to reinstall the OS and all your programs. I'd just go the external route if I were you, much less work, and they are handy to have.

I sort of tried this once before and it was amazing that even after transferring huge numbers of documents like docs, pics, music, etc. there was still a huge amount of GB being taken up, I guess, by programs, especially indocuments and settings. If I go external I want to make sure I can really free up a huge amount of internal HD and then I can defragment and stuff
pete

reformatted and freed up lots of space and got a lot of speed back of course. Have all files on a 40GB external which should be more than adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back