External SCSI on a modern computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

My moms friend was cleaning out his basement and gave me a crap load of old computer stuff. One of these things was an external casing by Stream Logic. I was planning on giving this away but I decided to keep it for backup of all my files. I opened the thing up and found two SCSI Seagate ST19171W HD's inside. Now the only problem I have is if theres a way that I could get this hooked up to my computer which is basically only USB and Firewire ports like any other computer now a days.

If anyone would have a solution for this please tell haha. If not I'll be giving this away with a G3 that the friend also gave me which I really have no need for haha.

Thanks,
Aj

Hi
You could install a pci scsi card such as any adaptec 2940 series. They have a connector on the back you can use to attach to the scsi enclosure. You'll need an external scsi cable of course. If you have no experience with scsi setup you might want to peruse adaptec's (or similar scsi site) site.

Ok, I think I might actually have a PCI SCSI card lying around from a previous one that I had...years ago lol. And is it possible to run RAID on a SCSI drive? Theres only one connection so I'm guessing they both run as one...or am I completely off.

Hi
The enclosure has a cable internaly that will connect to each drive in sequence and more than likely terminate the channel as well. It may also have a means to select drive id #s, either inside the enclosure or via a switch on the enclosure.

Depending on the cable you have, along with the card, enclosure, and drives, you can run up to 15 devices on one cable/channel. The various levels of scsi supported by the card and the drives determine how many devices you can have on a chain, cable notwithstanding. You should have no problems running any level of raid on the enclosure, but the card will have to support the raid level, or the os will have to do it in software. I have a two disk aid0 system and it is very fast and reliable so far. I like scsi, and I love scsi raid.

google for USB->SCSI adaptor

while it is good for only one device at a time, it is effective.

scsi is the best for raid
need raid controller may or may not be in the device
some scsi cards don't do raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back