External USB 2.0 Hard Drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an older thread with a similar problem and was advised to start a new one as the older doesn't get checked.

So here's my issue. I'm running service pack 2, I hear the two tone when I plug in the drive, a few bubbles show up in the lower right corner ending with "Your hardware is installed." I can't find the drive in My Computer or in the Computer Management. The drive is, however, being recognized by the Device Manager as both USB and Disk Drive, but I can't access them.

Does it work on other computers? Those devices are very fragile and are easily damaged by side impact. You may need to reformat the drive, or it may be damaged too badly to use.

Device manager says the USB Mass Storage drive is working properly and that the Disk Drive is working properly. I haven't had a chance to hook it up to another computer yet.

I looked at this topic and it is possible that this is the issue, but I can't find anywhere that I can access the drive that is connected to the USB to change the drive name.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Change jumpers from cable select to master, slave, etc... to see if you get a different response.
Also, see if they are detected in another computer.

Jumper was in master, switched it to cable select, but no change. I connected it to another computer (mac) and it registered that it was there but said that it had 0.00 bytes on it.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Found a solution

Gday Road Rash

I had exactly the same problem and figured out a solution thanks to finding your post with Google.

I took the liberty of quoting your description of the problem in the opening of the post. hope you dont mind...

check out:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74986.html

and let me know if it works for you!

Cheers.

lblack12

Thanks, but I tried this to and for some reason the disk management utility can't see the drive. It's in device manager, but doesn't show up in disk manager. It may have something to do with the fact that when the computer reads it it thinks it has 0.0 bytes but I don't know.

Have you tried using a different USB cable? It is possible that the cable is bad and is one of the easiest things to check if you have another known working cable.

Make a notepad list of ALL the drives and what letter they have from Disk management and paste it here please.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back