External USB storage unit doesn't displayed on my computer

By roxy
Dec 16, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have had an external usb removable storage unit for several years (maxtor). I used it in both of my laptops and never had a problem with it. A few days ago, I plugged it in and it just didn't display on my computer or explorer. I tried all of the usb ports and nothing happened. (I did it in both laptops). It shows in the device manager under drives and on the safely remove hardware, but I cannot make it appear in my computer or explorer. Also, it doesn't appear on the Disk Management. I placed a standard usb device and it works perfectly, it even shows in the Disk Management under Disk 1, which it doesn't show when I plugged in the Maxtor unit. Can anybody help me with this issue??? I am new on this forum, but I heard only great things about it. Thanks
  2. robin_bga

robin_bga Newcomer, in training Posts: 258

Hi
    Good to know what u heard, anyway, what u can do is to prove that its in the basic mode and not Dynamic mode, (am a lot rusty on windows coz u nolonger use it),but then if i remember correctly, u right click my computer, then, select manage, then Disk management, then right click the area where its says DISK X and select converter to Basic, if that doesnt work the select the partition and assign it a letter.That should help u.But if still that doesnt work, then open up the drive and make sure that its ok internally.
  3. For future reference, the "Introduce Yourself" thread is not the place to be posting problems.

http://www.techspot.com/vb

That link will direct you to the main boards. From there, you can choose your forum based on the type of problem you're having. This problem should've been posted in the Storage and Networking forum.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything. It's just forum policy. If any moderators are reading this, perhaps I could suggest moving the thread?
  4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, roxy, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to meet you and I hope you enjoy it here :)
  5. roxy

roxy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for responding. I don't get a Disk X on my device management and I have already created a new partition and still doesn't work. I will post the same message in the Storage & networking forum, I just got told by another tech support that I posted my thread on the wrong area. Anyway, thanks anyway. I have a bad feeling that it might be the hard disk with the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.