Extra internal hard drive!

By jon9989
Apr 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,
    Other than having a external hard drive, can I have 3 internal hard drive and if yes how?
    Thank you for your responds.
    Jon
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Yes, you can have any number of internal hard drives. All you need is a place to mount them, power and a controller to connect them to.

How? Just see if you have all of the above, buy and connect the thing :)
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,281   +24

Oh, and don't forget that you'll need space for them in ur PC too.
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,527   +857

Like The Glade Air Freshener Commercial Song Says.....

"Plug it in, plug it in...." (you must be from the US (I Think) to reference that joke)). Although, some (many) Micro ATX cases (OEM in particular) only have 2 bays in the HDD cage.
  5. Nodsu

With proper rails (or by attaching only one edge) you can use the 5.25" bays no problem. Also, one can take a drill to the case and make as many screw holes as they want :D
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,281   +24

What exactly do you mean by the rails part Nodsu? And if you attach only one edge, won't it move around in the case and break off or something? I want to know because I want to separate my Raptors from the other two drives coz they get quite hot and I don't want so much heat concentrated together.
  7. Nodsu

By rails I mean pieces of metal that attach to the edges of the hard drive and make it wider so that it fits the 5.25" bay.

Like these: http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--10...d_Disk_Drive_Mounting_Bracket_to_Fit_5_25_Bay

There is absolutely no problem with mounting the hard drive from one edge only as long as you use 2 or 3 screws. You will actually reduce noise, because the hard drve won't be transferring that much vibration to the case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.