TechSpot

Extracting files

By Bel57
Oct 30, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

I have downloaded a large zipped file (5+GB) from Google Drive, it's our daughter's wedding photos but when I try to extract the file I get a message telling me the file is invalid. What am I doing wrong????? (I'm running Window 7)
    TIA..
    upload_2016-10-30_21-3-21.png

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,336   +622

Ok. You need to login into the Administrator ID. The issue is your login can't write to the Admin's directory.

Once unpacked, the folder Documents\Bec can be moved (while still in the Admin login) to your document
    directory.

Once relocated, we'll then need to change the permissions.

3. Bel57

Bel57 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks jobeard, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean, (not being a Tech head at all). I've done a search of my computer and the only things that come up are, Create administrator account or Change user Account controls.

4. jobeard

Ok. Click on Computer, then the C: drive, then Users
    Every FOLDER you see is the name of a LOGIN-ID on your computer.

>>BTW: WHICH VERSION of Windows are you using??

5. Bel57

Thanks, so there are 2 files under User - Administrator and Public. So if I understand you correctly, I just have to click on Administrator, then download the zip file and then I should be able to extract the file? I'm running Windows 7.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. jobeard

Sounds correct to me

7. Bel57

Thanks but it didn't work, I just got them to send the folder in a different format and the files extracted without a problem.
    Cheers,
    Belinda