Extremely low FPS in CS:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I have looked all over this forum, and i have tried many solutions, but none seem to work.
When I play CS:S, it usually runs below 30fps, but can drop as low as 5 when many things are happening at once. Changing the video settings to minimum has no effect whatsoever.

My system is:
Fujitsu siemens amilo w1840d Laptop
P4 3,2 GHz
ATI mobility radeon 9600
1GB ram
winxp pro

I have the latest video driver from ATI, my hard disk is not that full (60% full) and I have no viruses or spyware. When I look on my control panel list I see nothing wrong other than many svchost.exe's.

Control panel list when idle:
alg.exe
ati2evxx.exe
ati2evxx.exe
atiptaxx.exe
csrss.exe
deletesatellite.
explorer.exe
helpctr.exe
incd.exe
incdsrv.exe
isafe.exe
jusched.exe
lsass.exe
lvcomsx.exe
mxoaldr.exe
rundll32.exe
scheduler daemon.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
soundman.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
system
system idle process
vsmon.exe
wdfmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe
zlclient.exe

I did not have this problem a while back, but it has been getting worse and worse. Now the game is unplayable. It has the same fps as my 800MHz PIII computer. How, is beyond me.

If anyone has any idea what may be causing this, please don't hesitate to suggest it.

Update:
I have found that the FPS are at around 60 when I start CS:S, then it falls slowly but steadily untill it slumbers at beow 20FPS somewhere. This happens every time I play.

From the looks of it, it is your graphics card. I had a 9200SE and it wouldn't even play, so my brother gave me his FX5500, and it played pretty good, but would do the SAME exact thing it is doing to you.

So, I recently built my new PC and put a 7600GT in it, and hopefully, it will play like a champ.

Your processor and amount of RAM doesn't matter for games if you have a crappy card.

Matrixfart said:
Control panel list when idle:
alg.exe
ati2evxx.exe
ati2evxx.exe
atiptaxx.exe
csrss.exe
deletesatellite.
explorer.exe
helpctr.exe
incd.exe
incdsrv.exe
isafe.exe
jusched.exe
lsass.exe
lvcomsx.exe
mxoaldr.exe
rundll32.exe
scheduler daemon.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
soundman.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
system
system idle process
vsmon.exe
wdfmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe
zlclient.exe

There are TOO many processes running. Try closing some to save precious RAM.
I can see that you have ZoneAlarm installed. Close it while gaming, it can be a great resource hog.

Also, nice nickname Matrixfart!!! puke:

ZeroCount said:
From the looks of it, it is your graphics card. I had a 9200SE and it wouldn't even play, so my brother gave me his FX5500, and it played pretty good, but would do the SAME exact thing it is doing to you.

So, I recently built my new PC and put a 7600GT in it, and hopefully, it will play like a champ.

Your processor and amount of RAM doesn't matter for games if you have a crappy card.

I hardly believe it is my GC. I can run it at minimum resolution and effects, and it still has EXACTLY the same low fps as with max resolution and effects.
Ram is very important for gaming, so is the processor. Graphics can usually be reduced. Only a few games depend entirely upon the GC.

But thank's for your reply. I do need a new PC XD

wolfram said:
There are TOO many processes running. Try closing some to save precious RAM.
I can see that you have ZoneAlarm installed. Close it while gaming, it can be a great resource hog.

Also, nice nickname Matrixfart!!! puke:

I know, unfortunately. I am considering removing zonealarm as it is a serious resource hog. But I have 1GB of ram, and it has never been a problem before.
Just a month ago, source was running smooth. Then my brother borrowed it for a week, then I had exams. Then this started happening.. :(
Despite my brother borrowing, I have checked everything possible, and I cannot find the problem.

I think I will reformat and start anew. Will only take a few hours anyway XD

P.S. Oh, and I know. My nick rocks. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back