Extremely old computer, wondering if anything's upgradable

Status
Not open for further replies.

URANium238

I have got an IBM PC 300GL 6563-64G computer, I've been thinking of upgrading it a bit and maybe using it for some older games or video processing in my country house.

It has an Intel Pentium III 533 MHz CPU (slot 1), 128 of SDRAM (max of 1GB), I couldn't get the mobo, but the chipset is made by VIA. Supports AGP 4x (currently Ati Rage Fury 128 with 32mb of video memory). The HDD is a 13gb Fujitsu (ATA-66 I suppose).

I know that none of these parts are manufactured right now. But I wonder if it is possible to find any (the best possible), and how much would they approximately cost?

p.s. I suppose this thread has to go to the Cooling and Modding section. Pls move it :)

You should build a completely new system.
Please tell us how much can you spend and we´ll help you as best as we can.

If you just want to play older games you could upgrade it for jus over $100. The slot 1 processors went up to 1ghz. They are about $50 or less on ebay. Then an extra 256-512mb ram and a Radeon 8500-9500 video card or nVidia Ti4200. But you can get a fairly powerful eMachine for about $300.

With some looking around you can find out how fast a cpu can go in the mobo you have, some more ram, etc, and away you go.
One place to get parts for a lot less is some forums that have trading sections, thats much cheaper than ebay. I never touch ebay, prices are just too high! Try places like anandtech, tech-imo, and while there you will find out about many other forums.
You can do this real cheap! If your mobo can allow it a P3 933 cpu and more ram would make that pc real zippy!

Most stores still sell PC133 SDRAM modules, two of 512M ones should speed things up quite nicely.

Slot 1 P3s are available secondhand too, and the mainboard probably works with some sort of GeForceFX or Radeon 9xx0 cards.

My 300gl

I really messed up with my software on my 300GL desktop. I took it to a repair shop and they told me that it had a poor installation of windows. Now its really messed up I need to reinstall all its drivers. I dont have a recovery CD and I hav eno access to internet..its not detecting my modem....its a mess. The computer repair shop told me to dump it... Its not worth upgrading in software... it sreally weird i have an attachment to this computer...I dont want to throw it away!

wildkholly said:
I really messed up with my software on my 300GL desktop. I took it to a repair shop and they told me that it had a poor installation of windows. Now its really messed up I need to reinstall all its drivers. I dont have a recovery CD and I hav eno access to internet..its not detecting my modem....its a mess. The computer repair shop told me to dump it... Its not worth upgrading in software... it sreally weird i have an attachment to this computer...I dont want to throw it away!

The first thing I would do is repartition and reformat the drive to get rid of the W-NT abomination and then install at least W-2000Pro. If you want a bigger HDD, now would be the time to replace it. It should be able to work with at least a 30gb and perhaps as high as 60gb. The RAM is PC100 Non-ECC 2x256MB MAX. All the drivers are available at this link from Lenovo who bought out IBM's Computer line recently. With the RAM maxed out and a larger HDD, it should work OK with W-XP Home, but you would need at least SP1, to correct a problem with the original issue.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...ind=0&operatingsystemind=121205&validate=true

generally it does not pay to upgrade if it costs more than $300.

You might as well get a newer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back