Extremley high CPU idling temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerTV

OK, so, I've been having trouble with my CPU overheating for a while and not actually bothered to do much about it, I've cleaned out the fan and that helped temporarily (around an hour) and then I had problems again.

I'm using a Pentium 4 560 3.6ghz (It's a prescott), and I know that they do have heat problems, but it's idling at 75-80c. The ambient temperature of the room is 30c.

Temperatures.jpg

I'm not as concerned about the GPU temperature, as I know my airflow is rather crap in the case, and the only fan I have in there is for my CPU. From what I can see the heatsink is on fine, I was thinking about removing it and checking if the thermal paste had been applied properly (I didn't actually install the heatsink), but I'm a little bit apprehensive about checking it out as I know you can damage the CPU fans.

So, any ideas what the problem can be?

I am having similar problems with my CPU I am getting 55 degrees plus with a Zalman on!

The thing is you have to make sure you have applied the thermal paste properly and the fan is seated on properly.

That fan for the prescotts have to be on their tight! If your room temps @ 30 the only thing thats really gonna make a differnce is watercooling or an AC in the room frankly.

Funny that.. my presscot usualy runs 30-33 idle on stock HSF (damn noisy tho).. and now about the same with the slowest speed on my new zalman :D

The only advice about removing the HSF on your cpu is to do it gently and study where the clips and locks are... maybe have one of those mini screwdrivers to help leviate the clips. Small, gentle rocking back and forth on the HSF after you've unlocked it will take it off the cpu.. After that just get some rubbing alcohol on some tissue or something and clean the top of your CPU and the bottom of the HSF. You might at this stage clear out any stubborn dust in it as well.. then reapply the thermal grease or whatever you use (arctic's the best) and spread it not too thin not too thick.

Get some cable ties, they arnt that expensive from your hardware shop (or velcro stuff if you like fancy) and a couple more fans if need be, it helps tremedously. Remember airflow rules: front to back, bottom to top, sides in.

N3051M said:
Funny that.. my presscot usualy runs 30-33 idle on stock HSF (damn noisy tho).. and now about the same with the slowest speed on my new zalman :D

The only advice about removing the HSF on your cpu is to do it gently and study where the clips and locks are... maybe have one of those mini screwdrivers to help leviate the clips. Small, gentle rocking back and forth on the HSF after you've unlocked it will take it off the cpu.. After that just get some rubbing alcohol on some tissue or something and clean the top of your CPU and the bottom of the HSF. You might at this stage clear out any stubborn dust in it as well.. then reapply the thermal grease or whatever you use (arctic's the best) and spread it not too thin not too thick.

Get some cable ties, they arnt that expensive from your hardware shop (or velcro stuff if you like fancy) and a couple more fans if need be, it helps tremedously. Remember airflow rules: front to back, bottom to top, sides in.

Right, I've already got some cable ties doing their job, I'll pick up some thermal grease and rubbing alcohol and do as you advised, thanks.

Also I'm not sure about the fans, because there's just nowhere to put them :\

Also I'm not sure about the fans, because there's just nowhere to put them :\
The Chordless drill is your best friend :D. And your worst if you forget to strip your pc before modding......

Ideas on possible fans, not limiting from your usual 80mm/120mm case fans.. if you need:
Hard drive Coolers
Front bay intakes (also check where your HDDs are, there is possibly a space there..)
PCI slot fans (exhaust)

N3051M said:
The Chordless drill is your best friend :D.
I don't like chords on my drills either :haha: :giddy: :haha:
N3051M said:
and your worst if you forget to strip your pc before modding......
lol... i killed my last mobo doing that. although, I didn't forget, i was just lazy :D

I need to find a friend who's really handy. I got some great ideas for a PC Mod, but I've not the confidence to do it myself.

CMH said:
I need to find a friend who's really handy. I got some great ideas for a PC Mod, but I've not the confidence to do it myself.
and you'll never gain that confidence if you don't try it.

if my memory serves me correctly, aren't you the one who made his own IDE and power cables??

if you could do that, then surely you can handle drilling a few holes in your case right? (or whatever else you planned on doing). I think you could do it if you tried.

cheers :wave:

Yeah, I did some nice work with the ID cables and power cables, but then again, I did some electronics back in primary school and Physics in Secondary school to actually know what I'm doing.

Besides, those are small items, where mistakes just mean having to start over.

Metalwork on the other hand, I have no experience about. I'll need to take up a course or at least get someone to show me some basics before I'll even attempt it. Besides, some of these mods require more than just some fancy holes made from a wireless hand drill :D

Did you do school here in aus? if you did i would've thought you did some Industrial tech, woodwork or Design tech? or were they just electives for you :D? Metalworks is kinda like woodworks, just difference is using slightly different tools where needed.. Most of the time you'd probably just need a good ol' hammer, couple of files and tools and a good solid bench to work on..

Anyways, theres some TAFE courses if you're interested around, not that expensive and you get a shiny little A4 paper at the end of the course :). Good for the CVs/resumes too..

You gonna work off an existing case or from scratch?

just wondering my AMDathlon64 4000+ is jumping from 0 -100% at idle and i know its not hot cuz its only at 82 F with a temp gun and sistem metrix is at 84 F and there is no programs running thanks for any advice

Look at the fan assembly

Isn't your fan screwed to the heat sink which clips onto the socket tabs? You can remove the fan with the heatsink but I have only killed fans by allowing them to fly. Checking the thermal is the priority since you don't know its state or if it is one of those cheapo pieces of tape some use...or maybe worse~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back