Eye tests could detect incurable Alzheimer's disease decades before onset

1. A new research has revealed that certain biological changes in the retina and lens of the eye may help predict Alzheimer 10-20 years before its onset. The findings were presented at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference in Copenhagen on Sunday.

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

I'm not sure I'd like to know that I was going to get "incurable" Alzheimer's in 10-20 years. Be almost like knowing the day you'll die.
  3. insect

insect TS Evangelist Posts: 315   +114

Neat. Next up a cure :)

Also, if I or a loved one was going to get Alzheimer's I'd like to know. Then I could plan out my life post-memory to make sure everything is taken care of financially and legally to lessen the burden (on loves ones, friends, society, etc. etc.) when the time comes to pass. If I'm going to be old and without memory, may as well make sure the memories others have of me are relatively decent ones.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +2,164

Although I wholeheartedly agree with your fundamental point, having seen the effects of Alzheimer's first hand, the scramble play sounds much more appealing than strategically anticipating the doom timer.
  5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 594   +50

Sounds like plans that everyone should already be doing regardless of the potential for a disease, Alzheimer or otherwise.
    hammer2085 likes this.
  6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Of course you want to know the earlier you get treatment and make diet changes the better.
  7. mls067

mls067 TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +10

8. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +2,164

Or you could just adopt a healthy lifestyle long before it's ever an issue, as @mks067 suggested.
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,292   +55

Why do you want to spend money on diseases before you even have them Isn't medicare already $45 trillion in debt?
  10. hammer2085

hammer2085 TS Rookie Posts: 19

We are all on clock.
  11. treetops

A healthy lifestyle and preventative medicine are 2 different things, google the disease and maybe you will understand. Or any disease.
  12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

"preventative medicine"
    I for one don't believe there is such a thing. And I also believe the attempt at trying causes problems.
  13. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Okay, but are you saying you don't brush or floss your teeth? Are you one of those who doesn't believe in vaccinations too? I'm not judging you, just asking.
  14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I'm saying everything has an unforeseen side effect. Side effects that change genetics and will carry on for generations.

I'm appalled at the fact that we live in a free country but yet it is law that our kids must attend school and before they do they must also have vaccination shots before attending public schools. Turns out we are not so free after all are we! There is no telling what kind of side effects we introduce to our kids before they even start school. How many times have you heard the phrase don't fix it unless it is broken? That is unless you want to risk breaking it.
  15. treetops

Folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, and fish oil are believed to preserve and improve brain health. Studies of vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, coenzyme Q10, and turmeric have yielded less conclusive results, but may also be beneficial in the prevention or delay of Alzheimer’s and dementia symptoms.

Found that in like 10 seconds, how stupid do you have to be to not want to know about and begin combating such a terrible disease early on.

Activities involving multiple tasks or requiring communication, interaction, and organization offer the greatest protection. Set aside time each day to stimulate your brain. Cross-training with these brain-boosting activities will help keep you mentally sharp:

• Learn something new. Study a foreign language, learn sign language, practice a musical instrument, read the newspaper or a good book, or take up a new hobby. The greater the novelty and challenge, the larger the deposit in your brain reserves.
    • Practice memorization. Start with something short, progressing to something a little more involved, such as the 50 U.S. state capitals. Create rhymes and patterns to strengthen your memory connections.
    • Enjoy strategy games, puzzles, and riddles. Brain teasers and strategy games provide a great mental workout and build your capacity to form and retain cognitive associations. Do a crossword puzzle, play board games or cards, or work word and number games, such as Scrabble or Sudoku.
    • Practice the 5 W’s.Observe and report like a crime detective. Keep a “Who, What, Where, When, and Why” list of your daily experiences. Capturing visual details keeps your neurons firing.
    • Follow the road less traveled. Take a new route, eat with your non-dominant hand, rearrange your computer file system. Vary your habits regularly to create new brain pathways.
  16. I'm a student medicine, so let me tell you a little about something called "epigenetics".
    When you are born you have certain genetic information, like what color your eyes will be, and there is also information about how probable you will develop a disease. Now, epigenetics is about how can your environment affect your genetics. For example, practically all you relatives have hypertension, so that means you're gonna have it too? Mmm, maybe. Then, is there anything I can do to prevent it? Of course! If you have a lifestyle as healthy as possible, you can stop the disease from developing. You have to exercise regularly and eat healthy. Something similar happens with Alzheimer. In genetics there's something called "multifactorial heritage". Alzheimer, hypertension, diabetes and a lot more disease enter this category. What does it mean? That even if you have the "genes" to get the disease, there is only 2-4% of probability that you get it. Then why a lot of people have them? Epigenetics. Even if you don't have the genes, you might develop the disease, because the environment and your lifestyle are more important.