F.A.O., of an Administrator.

Maurice

I fully understand the reason for not divulging members email addresses, but at the moment, I have exchanged several private messages with a member, mostly chatting about our PC's, but also about subjects unrelated to I.T.
I presume that it's OK to continue, but what do the site regulations say, if I intended to ask that person to tell me his email address? it goes without saying, that I would not pursue this, if I am told it was against regs.
The person does not live in my country, it's just that we have such interesting conversations about the areas in which we both live, but internet technology is always present in our conversations.
Please let me know your ruling, thank you.

- Thread moved to appropriate forum
Didou

I think through PMs you can do what you want. The ruling for the site is that TechSpot won't tell you the persons email address. If you want to swap email addresses with this person over techspot PM system I don't think it has anything to do with a "Techspot ruling" in anyway. I think you've misunderstood the Terms of agreement ;)

I'd hate to think a web site could dictate who I could swap email addresses with. Its purely a data protection issue that means if the user doesn't want to display their email address in their profile we are not allowed to pass on that information to a third party.

Just a bit of my own $.02 here.....I think it's great that a quality forum such as this can foster global friendships. Kudos to the site and all admins here. :grinthumb

Thanks, guys, your comments seem valid, thanks for them & your support, quality forum is right, quality site too!
Arris, as a "Special Forces" I take it that you are speaking as an administrator, thank for the info.
As it happens, the person concerned saw my post & promptly gave me their email address, so, "fate accompli", the person should have waited until I got an answer, & have conveyed this by email

No problem.

What you do on PM is your own business as long as it follows general rules of courtesy...

That means no spamming, no harrassment etc...

But as long as the behavior is mutual between the participating members of the PMs, then it is fine fine fine! :)

Thanks Rick, you're the second Special Forces to give the OK, so that confirms it.
As my whole working life has been involved in security, there is no way that I would harrass.
I had a go at someone on TS once, but others agreed that it was justified.

I don't know if my response can be taken as that of "Administrator" since that is Julio and no one else as far as I know, but your still safe to proceed :grinthumb

Is my choice for a PC alright?

Cheers, "Arris"
"Administrator" is a term from my past, I spent nearly 20 years in the Civil Service, Prison Department, [admin section, not uniformed] so admin was a term used on a daily basis.
By the way, I see that your CPU is Athlon, I am having a PC built, & the specs show Duron, now I understand that the Duron has been dropped.
I told them that I wanted a basic PC, to just email & surf the web, so that's what they came up with, the Duron is 1800, [& no longer made] hard drive 80 Gb, 256Mb memory, m/board Asrock K7S41GX Vid 64Mb.

So what do you think, as my requirments are simple, would it be OK to stick with the Duron, or go for the Athlon?, I equate the Duron to the Intel Celeron, & the Athlon to the Pentium, is that about right? the laptop I am selling is Celeron 1.3, & has always been adequate.
Let me explain, I am in my 70's, but with a 40 year old mind [80 year old body though!] & got into computing only 18 months ago, since I lost my wife several years ago, so computing occupies a large part of my life, a games console, a slightly lesser amount.

Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Maurice.

Well if you have sold a Celeron and are replacing it with a Duron then you should be happy enough with it. Especially an 1800 (which should be a little faster than the Celeron). I think it should be enough to surf the web and other things you want to do. If the price difference is small from Duron to Athlon then the athlon would be the way to go. All comes down to performance per $/£/€. I would say as long as your not planning on playing any new games or doing video editing or something then the system suggested should be fine. (I'm 28, with a 16 year old mind and a 35 year old body so I have some catching up to do on all accounts :D )

Oh wow, Arris, [ would that be the Arris of Arris Tweed fame? ] sorry about that!
I doubt very much that you have a 16 year old mind, but if that's the case, there's nothing wrong in having a young outlook on life, as to the 35 year old body, might that be down to lagers & pizzas?, or if you're a Scot, malts & haggisses, [ or should that be haggii? ]
Thanks for the advice, knew I could depend on you, as I have said before, replies from members who live in the British Isles, see my points of view more clearly, there's you, & someone that lives in Ireland, [ but who is Dutch by birth ]
I think I will stick with the Duron after what you said, I 'spose the fact that they are now obsolete doesn't matter?, at any rate I could always upgrade at a later date, I did say to someone previously that I don't want to watch videos/DVD's/films or download music, & as for games, I find them very unwieldy on a PC, much much easier on my Playstation 2, so that won't be a problem.
So again, my thanks.

Maurice

Originally posted by Maurice .............. as for games, I find them very unwieldy on a PC, much much easier on my Playstation 2, so that won't be a problem.

Maurice

Maurice, I'm catching up to you fast in age, but like Arris said, I've got the mind of a youngster when it comes to playing games. PC gaming and my home theater system take up most of my spare time. People look at me hard when I go into a store to buy a game. "For your son?" "No, for me."

Anyway, while having tried very few console games, I sure can't repute what you said, but I don't find PC games the least bit unwieldy. For me at least they seem to be very well laid out, and easy to play, with a few exceptions of course.

If all you are going to do is surf the net, then I agree with what Arris said, what you are looking at is all you need. But, maybe your gaming experience is based on the computer that you've been using, you might change your mind if you got a little bit more upscale computer, that is more capable of playing some of the newer games. Just try playing Battlefield/Desert Combat and spend the time to learn to fly a helo, and you will be hooked. That's a very addictive game that I only discovered later on in the games life.

Just my .02 cents.

Who is building the PC for you? Let us know what your budget is and we can put together a specification that would let you do a bit more with the PC if you wanted, and make the overall use of it more pleasurable.

The Arris comes from "Ser Lev Arris". A character played by Clive Owen in the game "Privateer 2: The Darkening". I started using the name for a character in an online mud called "The Razors Edge" when I was at Uni and have used it ever since.

Like Arris said, it would be better if you can specify your budget. This will greatly benefit you as the budget can help us decide what you get out most out of your money.

Thanks again guys, but the build suggested by the workshop will suit me fine, although retired money is not the problem, I have two good pensions, it's what I want for my needs.I thought I had made it clear, [ see above ] all I want is to surf & send emails, Ihave no further aspirations, as I set out in detail.

Olefarte, the PC is being built by a shop/workshop in my nearest town, & am comfortable with the guy that runs it, over a couple of years he has guided me through various
problems. As to PC games. its the playing of the games by keyboard I find slow & laborious, & I got a sidewinder once, but my laptop wouldn't recognise it, as you say, perhaps if I try one on the better PC, I might have more luck, but I still say, what is easier than plonking a disc on a console, no waiting, no configuring, you're there playing in a matter of seconds, & in my opinion the games are equally as good, PS2 has loads, & more coming out almost weekly.
Perhaps it's because I spent years playing console games, if I had not gone that way, & went straight to computers & gaming it might have been different.
Anyway, all your remarks are appreciated

Back