F1 to continue during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really stupid.

I have added a SATA PCI controller and new SATA disks.

The SATA disks are not the boot disk.

When the computer is booting the SATA card is detected and RAID options
are presented (Ctrl-R to enter RAID setup).

Then a message about some USB thing (sorry the computer is remote so I cannot see the exact message).

Then a message comes saying:
F1 to continue F2 to enter setup

Unless F1 is hit nothing happens!! The boot process stops.

This has only happen since I added the SATA card so that is suspect but I really do not have a clue of as to where to look or what to do next besides throwing out the SATA card and disk.

I guess that will be the first thing to try i.e remove the SATA controller and see what happens that should begin to isolate this problem the prompt should not occur if it is caused by the SATA card.

Does anybody have insight or suggestions? I can not be the first to see this.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

What if you enter setup and save the settings? Many brand name machines require you to enter the BIOS and confirm any hardware changes, even as simple as adding/removing a mouse.

/agree with Nodsu.

My motherboard always asks me to enter BIOS and save changes whenever I add new hardware, and will boot up fine afterwards.

F1 continue curse

I have hit F2 and exited with a sve the bios setup.

Still get the same results.

I have started looking at the DELL support forums and apparently this
is a common problem after changing things (aading drives, changing drives etc.).

So far all I ahve got is to playaround in the bios setup turning drives off and resetting the NVRAM.

I'll need to go to the server location so it will be a coouple of days before I get to make any changes.

Thanks for the feed back.

Ralph

Might as well take a look at the BIOS updates at Dell. Just get the latest version or see the changelogs for something relevant if you are more cautious.

hi
i had a similar issue with a MSI motherboard ... i had to define an array (raid)! not that i was using it the time, but without defining it the PC did not boot...
Ctrl-R and define an array..
cheers

Dell F1 Continue curse

Apparently this is a common problem with DELL computers after adding new hardisk or memory or anything that the BIOS detects.

My solution was to turn off all of the secondary and tertiary hardisk in BIS setup. Once done I no longer get the F1 to continue prompt during bootup.

Changing the CMOS battery was also listed as a possible fix on DELl support which I didn't need to do.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back