F1 to resume del to setup checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bex

My mum has an old pc. 128 ram and 10gib hd. She went on holiday for 3 weeks and switched it off at the socket, when she got home, taking into consideration that the clocks had changed, she got a message, checksum error, click needs setting in BIOS f1 to resume del to setup. She pressed F1 to resume and it got as far as the windows loading blue screen, made a click noise and rebooted with the same option. If she pressed del to enter setup the screen went black and it just hung with a flashing curser.
This computer has two hard drives, don't know whether that makes any difference.
Has anyone any ideas please.
By the way she is not connected to the internet, only uses it to mess around with photos and uses word.

It may be a small amount of corruption in the bios, but that's a complete guess. I just can't think of anything that could possibly cause these symptoms just by the computer being left off otherwise.

Spike
I am still having the same problem with my mums computer.
She was given this second hand so has no software, it was pre-loaded, so I can't use a boot disc as I do not have the windows xp disc.
I have asked techspot forum who thought it may be the battery, I replaced this but no joy.
Someone at work suggested that I move the jump leads to reset the bios but I don't want to do that if it's a waste of time?
I have windows 98SE from an old computer, could I load that as she's not on the internet? If so what do I do?
Please!! :haha:

given the age of such equipment, is definately would not be worth fixing if you can even get to work.

Sorry Spike I meant to say I was given the advice from computer hope, I am registered with both you and them!

Thanks for that advice Tedster...my mum is knocking on herself but not ready to be replaced...not everyone can afford to go out and buy a new computer!

If XP is on it, you could borrow a matching CD (XP Home or Pro) from anyone and even burn a copy. The same goes for W2000 or W98SE.

To install W98 or W2K on an XP machine, you'd have to WIPE everything and format it, losing EVERYTHING on the harddisk. You could try and burn a few CDs with personal files first.
However, with the proper CD (XP or W2K) you could try and do a repair as described at the top of this forum.
If it's W98 that's on it, you could try and re-install W98 over the existing installation, if you can still boot from a floppy.

Cheers for getting back to me. Looks like I will have to format and reinstall windows xp. I have my windows xp pro, not sure whether my mums is pro or home. The thing is there's no software with it so none of the drivers will work! it's not on the internet, don't think it's even got a modem so I can't download them.
Bit stuffed really, hours of messing around.
If it's a checksum error does this mean that once I reinstall windows the bios will reset itself? or is this going to happen again?

RE-installing the OS won't reset the BIOS. If you want to clear the bios, I'm afraid that you'll have to open the case, find the "clear cmos" jumpers, and short them out for a few seconds (anything up to 20 will do, but make sure the power is off before you do this.)

The only other way to do it is to "flash" the bios, but that's a little more dangerous (to the computer, like if there's a powercut or something), and somewhat more involved - especially for an older computer due to the potential unavailability of the firmware.

Sorry I haven't been around to answer your wuestions by the way - I've been taken ill recently. If I'm not around though, as you've probably already seen, there are many others who may help you :)

Thank you Spike for getting back to me, I am so sorry you have been ill, I hope it's nothing serious.
Someone at work told me to try the jumpers and have drawn me a diagram of where I can find them but I was hoping that you would give me that advice also because you seem to know what you are talking about! Sorry guys I'm not saying that no one else does, except me of course!
As you are have gathered I am having two problems, mine with windows xp and my mums!
Thanks again for all your help, I will let you know how I get on.
Hope you are feeling much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back