FAA panel finds electronic devices, Wi-Fi safe for 'gate to gate' use

By Shawn Knight
Oct 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) advisory committee has come to the conclusion that it is safe for airline passengers to use hand-held electronic devices like smartphones, tablets and e-readers during all portions of a flight on nearly every US airliner....

Read more
  2. thewind

thewind Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

IF you've ever had your phone on during a flight you'd know you cant get a signal from that high up anyway! I've had both Verizon and sprint when I'm flying and neither can receive a signal after around 8,000 feet. Most planes fly above 20,000 feet so good luck getting anything up there anyway!
  3. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

Once connected to WiFi, folks can use VOIP (Skype, etc) to chat. Just hope I won't sit next to a chatterbox though... We will miss the quiet time we have now.
  4. Adorerai

Adorerai Newcomer, in training

If someone was going to trigger a bomb with a cell phone, is telling them to turn off their phone really what's going to stop it?
    Arris likes this.
  5. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

My thoughts exactly.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,043   +696

No, but it would stop the airlines from installing connectivity for you like they have with wi-fi.
  7. Hacker

Hacker Newcomer, in training

Yes, but you could trigger a bomb through wi-fi as well.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,806   +1,431

Remote detonators would likely be custom made and wouldn't be dependent on airline services. Anyone with electronic experience could build a long-range remote detonator. They don't have to be sophisticated to work. Making them tamper proof is another story though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.