TechSpot

FAA panel finds electronic devices, Wi-Fi safe for 'gate to gate' use

By Shawn Knight
Oct 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) advisory committee has come to the conclusion that it is safe for airline passengers to use hand-held electronic devices like smartphones, tablets and e-readers during all portions of a flight on nearly every US airliner....

Read more

2. thewind

thewind TS Enthusiast Posts: 74

IF you've ever had your phone on during a flight you'd know you cant get a signal from that high up anyway! I've had both Verizon and sprint when I'm flying and neither can receive a signal after around 8,000 feet. Most planes fly above 20,000 feet so good luck getting anything up there anyway!

3. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 289   +67

Once connected to WiFi, folks can use VOIP (Skype, etc) to chat. Just hope I won't sit next to a chatterbox though... We will miss the quiet time we have now.

4. Adorerai

Adorerai TS Rookie

If someone was going to trigger a bomb with a cell phone, is telling them to turn off their phone really what's going to stop it?

Arris likes this.
  5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,549   +231

My thoughts exactly.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,677   +1,064

No, but it would stop the airlines from installing connectivity for you like they have with wi-fi.

7. Hacker

Hacker TS Rookie

Yes, but you could trigger a bomb through wi-fi as well.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,202   +2,638

Remote detonators would likely be custom made and wouldn't be dependent on airline services. Anyone with electronic experience could build a long-range remote detonator. They don't have to be sophisticated to work. Making them tamper proof is another story though.