TechSpot

Facebook adds Tor network support with official onion address

By Shawn Knight
Oct 31, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook is currently experimenting with adding an extra layer of security and anonymity by making its social network available to those using the Tor network.

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,894

Facebook is kissing their userbase's ***, wanting them to think they will be secure.

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,547   +2,346

The irony of this plan is not lost on me. Well played, Zuckerburg.

4. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Now you can securely transmit your information to us so we can insecurely store and share it with anyone who asks. Also, don't worry, we PROMISE we won't flag your account as a known TOR User and tell anyone about that either. You can trust us! /s

Renrew likes this.
  5. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Sweet! Now I can surf the net anonymously and then reveal myself by logging into fb.

I'm not sure if genius marketing preying on under educated but privacy aware people, genius NSA collaboration, or just downright foolish. :'(

6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,547   +2,346

I guarantee you, the moment this goes live, some FB enthusiast drops the status, "I'm anonymous! Posting update through Tor, woo!" in her feed only to receive 26 likes from her friends who all honestly think she's joking.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. Spy site + spy protocol = full anonimity