Facebook blames staff diversity problems on lack of available talent

midian182

Staff member

Facebook released its most recent diversity report last week and it shows very little signs of improvement – something the company blames on the US public education system and the “pipeline problem,” meaning there aren't enough qualified women and minorities available to fill tech positions.

The total number of women employed by Facebook increased just one percent to 33 percent, while the number of black and Hispanic US employees remained the same at 2 percent and 4 percent, respectively.

Facebook's Global Director of Diversity, Maxine Williams, said: "It has become clear that at the most fundamental level, appropriate representation in technology or any other industry will depend upon more people having the opportunity to gain necessary skills through the public education system," she said in a statement.

The lack of diversity is most apparent when it comes to Facebook’s tech-based jobs, which consists of 48 percent white and 46 percent Asian employees. Black workers make up just 1 percent of this sector, with Hispanic employees accounting for 3 percent.

Senior leadership is one area totally dominated by white males; across the US, 71 percent of Facebook’s leaders are white, and men make up 73 percent of senior positions worldwide.

Not everyone agrees with Facebook’s “lack of talent” argument; civil rights leader Jesse Jackson said: “There is no talent deficit but an opportunity deficit. There is a pipeline of qualified board members. There is a pipeline of C-suite leaders. There are more black computer science students than are being hired.”

Despite the figures, the social network continues to implement new ways of diversifying its workforce. Several of the company’s teams require that at least one minority candidate must be interviewed for each open position, and it also offers an internship program for women and minority students. Moreover, Facebook plans to donate $15 million to Code.org, which seeks to increase access to coding/computer science classes for women and minorities, over the next five years.

Permalink to story.

Jesse Jackson is a race hustler. Of course he believes it's an availability problem and not a pipeline problem.

carrying-capacity.png

I blame facebook for making it horrible. not user friendly and with the newest update, a browser killer. now it feels like im using a computer from 2005.

Don't all pubic school students receive the same eduction as the same schools regardless of race? It's up to the students to decide what they're interested in and develop their skills in that area. This largely comes down to home life and having he opportunity to sit down for a few hours a week and learn on your own. Schools can't fix this, parents need to fix this.

Just crop the photo a little bit on the top to remove bend in "f", and it all becomes perfectly clear.

I'm just going to be politically correct on this one and say nothing...cuz we all know what's up anyway.

"There is no talent deficit but an opportunity deficit. There is a pipeline of qualified board members. There is a pipeline of C-suite leaders. There are more black computer science students than are being hired.”

I can't even figure out what this means. I'm guessing it translates as, "Give me more money or I'll call you a racist."

Don't all pubic school students receive the same eduction as the same schools regardless of race? It's up to the students to decide what they're interested in and develop their skills in that area. This largely comes down to home life and having he opportunity to sit down for a few hours a week and learn on your own. Schools can't fix this, parents need to fix this.
parents are absolutely part of the fix. However public schools are FAR from equal . . . very very very far.

If you want a video or info I can dig one up if you are interested. But otherwise just remember that public schools vary as widely as the communities that exist in the US . . . and there are some extremely large gaps.

I believe a lot of it is personal drive and largely what theBest11778 said about after school activities, the environment of the home. Much of the opportunity is there but most kids would rather go do what their friends are doing after school.

WHAT parents, in some cases, they may have 1, or none.
In the 50's through 70's, when I grew up, there was a MOM & a DAD. Mom stayed home, tended to the home, took care of the kid(s). Dad, went to work. In the "free love do your own thing" of the late 60's, and in the 70's women's movement, women were told you don't need a man, go to work, do your own thing, and the government, went right along, developed the welfare system to "take care" of people. Add to that, the government removing religion from pretty much every walk of life.
Now, you have people popping out babies like popcorn, children growing up with 1 or no parents, schools teaching vile crap instead of the 3 R's, no mention of religion, unless it is islamic.
And people are surprised that the level of poverty, "diversity" and violence is so high? We did it to ourselves by upsetting the NATURAL order of human life.

WHAT parents, in some cases, they may have 1, or none.
In the 50's through 70's, when I grew up, there was a MOM & a DAD. Mom stayed home, tended to the home, took care of the kid(s). Dad, went to work. In the "free love do your own thing" of the late 60's, and in the 70's women's movement, women were told you don't need a man, go to work, do your own thing, and the government, went right along, developed the welfare system to "take care" of people. Add to that, the government removing religion from pretty much every walk of life.
Now, you have people popping out babies like popcorn, children growing up with 1 or no parents, schools teaching vile crap instead of the 3 R's, no mention of religion, unless it is islamic.
And people are surprised that the level of poverty, "diversity" and violence is so high? We did it to ourselves by upsetting the NATURAL order of human life.
Dude, you need to take off your tinfoil hat and realize the world is not run by 19th century Christians. You dont need to be christian to be a decent human being. There is no government conspiracy to make people "less christian", rather this is what happens in a world that has free access to information, with a greater capability for people to make informed decisions. The young generations are fed up with religion's BS, and are leaving in droves. Largely because of uninformed comments like yours.

Are they not graduating high school? This was due to saved by the bell, a stupid nbc show. When I was 21 I had 4 4 year degrees.

Are they not graduating high school? This was due to saved by the bell, a stupid nbc show. When I was 21 I had 4 4 year degrees.
There is a ....disturbing....culture amongst minority groups. It's most common amongst very poor urban black populations, but affects all groups.

They value street cred over education. I see it every day. Kids throw away huge opportunities to leapfrog 2-4 years over their peers, through things like career tech programs and early college courses (that are FREE). Instead they screw around, and only care about what their crew/gang/group of friends is doing. they see education as THE MAN, and think they are resisting influence by ignoring it.

then you see the students that do try, and get bullied for it. You see bright young black students bullied relentlessly because they do their homework, or listen to the teacher, or refuse to take part in shenanigans. It's depressing, and very common.

Like I said, it affects all groups, but black populations in school are most affected, with hispanics to a lesser degree. It's much rarer to see that in Caucasian or Asian students, quite the opposite. And there is only so much the school can do to help, since this extends outside of school, and deep into the communities themselves.

So I actually believe Zuck here. If the students in high school dont care and barely graduate, how many of them will come to their senses, shape up their life a bit, and actually apply to college or to a trade school. And of those that do, how many will actually be accepted, amongst the competition from tons of good students that didnt screw around and hang out with the wrong groups? It's a self-serving cycle, that keeps repeating itself constantly.

I love the comments here. Now I see why facebook or tech companies don't hire minorities. We have deep seated racism here in the US. Just look at the comments. When whites can't find job its because of bad trade deals or immigration. When blacks can't find jobs its because they're too stupid.

These companies well never hire minorities based on protests or public comments like in this forum. Its only one way to change them and to change this backward racist as country.

Why do we keep discussing this? Everyone, earn your stripes, don't whine. I came to this wonderful country (USA) in late 1970's from India and completed my graduate education in EECS from a Top University. I have been in name brand companies in Silicon Valley for the past 30+ years, have done campus recruiting, and senior level staff recruiting. The top notch companies go after students from Top Tier Universities because they can (justified by saying they are already selected to be very bright). Then during campus interviews (or phone interviews for internships), the questions are highly technical, and in-depth; followed by in-plant interviews (again very tough). We do not care if the candidate is a man/woman, LGBT, black/brown/white/pink/purple, from earth /mars etc. Whoever can ace these interviews will get offer letter--simple as that

Can someone tell me what college did Mark Zuckerberg graduate from? How about Bill Gates? Or Steve Jobs? These companies are hypocrites. I never graduated from college and would consider myself a top programmer. Not because of going to college but simply for my love of video games and computers. Nowadays I would be passed over for someone cheaper on a H1B visa.

I've been passed over from business here in Arizona that only have Mexicans working there. But no one cares when it happens to a white person. Only black lives matter?

Can someone tell me what college did Mark Zuckerberg graduate from? How about Bill Gates? Or Steve Jobs? These companies are hypocrites. I never graduated from college and would consider myself a top programmer. Not because of going to college but simply for my love of video games and computers. Nowadays I would be passed over for someone cheaper on a H1B visa.
Mark Zuckerberg started facebook when he went to harvard. Bill gates dropped out of harvard. Steve Jobs went to some college in california and dropped out. It's not that people have to be so qualified in some cases. Look who's talking.

Why is this a US public education system problem when Zuck/Face wants to keeps pushing for more and more H1b visas and keeps using more and more H1b visas. Just where do you think he is recruiting those H1b visa holders from?

Zuck/Face has only one interest here, holding done those wages he pays, using H1b visa holders as the stick. He will continue to hire H1b visa holders until that magic day when they are his only employees.

Back