Facebook introduces location-broadcasting feature 'Nearby Friends'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook adds nearby friends show facebook

Facebook has cooked up yet another way to keep you in touch with your friends. Drawing inspiration from the current crop of location-broadcasting apps already on the market, “Nearby Friends” is a new feature that shows when you are in close proximity to friends in the real world.

In a blog post on the matter, Facebook product manager Andrea Vaccari is quick to highlight the feature’s opt-in nature. That is, you’ll have to enable it on your own which is no doubt a move to keep privacy advocates at bay.

Specifically, the service lets you choose who can see if you’re nearby and you can turn it on or off at any time. Both you and your friend will have to have the service enabled and choose to share with each other for it to work. Once activated and in the area of a friend, you’ll receive a push notification alerting you of your friend's presence.

It’s the first major feature to hit Facebook in more than a year. The social networking giant has been extremely busy as of late with the acquisition of Oculus and WhatsApp, not to mention the release of news reader app Paper. As such, they haven’t had a ton of time to focus on their core product.

Nearby Friends is rolling out to both Android and iOS users on a staggered basis over the coming weeks. No word yet on when or if it’ll be heading to other platforms like Windows Phone.

Permalink to story.

Id use this with good friends. thats about it.

Not an entirely useless or outrageous feature though.

Another reason to control the apps that have access to location services - - just what you want - - tell'm your at point X implying you're not home - - when you do get back, the door will be open and all your goodies will be available next week at someones yard sale :sigh:

"And in new news about new things, Facebook steals an idea from the latest Windows Phone update..."

Looks like Facebook is stealing rather than inventing.

Another reason to control the apps that have access to location services - - just what you want - - tell'm your at point X implying you're not home - - when you do get back, the door will be open and all your goodies will be available next week at someones yard sale :sigh:
That is true, but I think the paranoia is a little over-inflated. Lots of people, including me, live alone and have jobs where they are gone longer than 8 hours every day. Apparently this is opt-in and presumably you can control which friends see this, seems pretty safe to me. If a thief wanted to steal stuff my my apt, they could figure out my schedule by watching my comings and goings over a 4 day period that included a weekend.

Back