Facebook is buying data about users' offline lives

Jos

Staff

Facebook bases its entire business on collecting data about its users so it can make money through targeted ads. That’s the price you pay in exchange for access to the largest platform to connect with friends and family. But what you may not be aware of is that the company also work with several data brokers to gather information about users’ offline life. This can include things like places that you frequent, how much money you make and the number of credit cards you have.

The fact that Facebook is buying data from third party data brokers isn't new, but that this includes data about users' offline lives isn’t widely known, and a report from ProPublica is shinning a light on the practice. The research found about 29,000 different categories Facebook provides to ad buyers, and almost 600 were “provided by a third party,” most of these related to users’ financial history.

However, unlike Facebook's native data collection, users cannot see what information these third-party sources have on them directly from the social network’s website. When asked about the lack of disclosure, Facebook responded that it doesn't tell users about the third-party data because it's widely available and it is not collected by them. Steve Satterfield, a Facebook manager of privacy and public policy, says that users who don't want that information to be available to Facebook should contact the data brokers directly.

He also points to a help center page with links to the opt-outs for six data brokers (Acxiom, Epsilon, Experian, Oracle Data Cloud, TransUnion and WPP ) that sell personal data to Facebook.

ProPublica of course decided to try this procedure and found that it was extremely complicated, in some cases requiring a written request sent by mail along with government-issued identification. Asking data brokers to provide the information that they have on them is also a cumbersome process.

Since the report went online Facebook has defended itself saying that ProPublica fails to mention that a person can click on the upper right corner of any ad on Facebook to learn why they’re seeing the ad, and if it’s because they’re in a data provider’s audience, Facebook discloses this and links to the data provider’s opt-out — it’s not clear if this still involves the complicated process ProPublica reported on.

“Furthermore, we think when people choose not to see ads based on certain information, they don’t want to see those ads anywhere. When a person makes changes to her Ad Preferences (which apply to Facebook’s ad categories), we do our best to apply those choices wherever we show ads to that person using Facebook data. We wanted controls for data provider categories to work similarly, so we required the data providers to provide opt-outs that work across all the services that use their data for ads.”

You can read ProPublica's report here.

Permalink to story.

Once again, let's all hide under a rock! Seriously though, no matter how much into conspiracies you are, you can't honestly believe somebody with Facebook chose you, John Smith, and is calling other companies trying to find out where you buy your underpants. The data collected here is by the thousands and is mostly done though software. No, employees can't, not to mention... wouldn't want to, see your individual specific details. So why is this a story? Yes, some Facebook server somewhere changed a 0 to a 1 next to the fact that I bought a car in the last few years so they know not to advertise cars to me. Do I care? nope.

Seriously people, why are you still using this wantonly egregious platform, there is nothing positive about it. Just stop using it! Zuckerberg isn't trying to put satellites and blimps in the air to supply free internet to the world, he's doing it so those who use his service are locked into his walled garden and there will be no excape.

Install u block origin--->activate the facebook domain block---->block third party cookies on browser--->block any sources found to be selling data to facebook---->stop using facebook or only use it in a sandboxed browser you dont use for anything else.

Boom, problem solved.

Install u block origin--->activate the facebook domain block---->block third party cookies on browser--->block any sources found to be selling data to facebook---->stop using facebook or only use it in a sandboxed browser you dont use for anything else.

Boom, problem solved.

You also have to NEVER provide a shred of legitimate personal info to them - not een your real name. That's something that most sheeple still aren't smart enough to understand.

Once again, let's all hide under a rock! Seriously though, no matter how much into conspiracies you are, you can't honestly believe somebody with Facebook chose you, John Smith, and is calling other companies trying to find out where you buy your underpants. The data collected here is by the thousands and is mostly done though software. No, employees can't, not to mention... wouldn't want to, see your individual specific details. So why is this a story? Yes, some Facebook server somewhere changed a 0 to a 1 next to the fact that I bought a car in the last few years so they know not to advertise cars to me. Do I care? nope.

And that is why you are the problem and not Facebook. In your inability to understand the meaning of privacy, you allow Facebook to take mine. It doesn't matter if its aggregated or anonymized or machine processed, it is my privacy and I did NOT invite them into my life to view it in any form. And that is aside from, as the article points out, Facebook actually not aggregating but individualizing their collection and exploitation of my privacy.

I don't even use Facebook because of the invasion of my space, but if I date someone that does; have a son/daughter that does; or a spouse/'s/o' that does; I get pulled into their database as a co-owner on a credit card or a bank account or a car or a house.

If you and the millions of other ignorant sheep would stop using it for just a day and then say 'privacy' or 'leave my non-facebook friends alone', they would stop, because you make them money and the 'group' of you make them lots of money. But you won't. You simply don't understand wanting to be left alone to live your own life.

I pay the taxes I'm required to. I pay my children's college costs and don't use one drop of government loans or grants. I pay my mortgage. I vote for who I want to vote for based on my own decisions. I don't need nor want some short sleazy little thieving programmer and his company bothering me about what they think I need to buy or what my family should buy because they can get access to what I purchase or do or look at or research.

I'm very sorry that it is the likes of you that encourages them to do that.

You've missed the point. The concern is not whether individual employees care about peoples' personal information. The concern is that these companies have the power to pull up an individual's entire behavioral history with a keystroke. If you do not recognize the amount of power that bestows upon data brokers and their clients, you clearly have no understanding of big data or why it exists.

I want a competing platform to destroy Facebook.

that'll teach them to put me in Facebook jail for telling the truth...

I want a competing platform to destroy Facebook.

that'll teach them to put me in Facebook jail for telling the truth...

Once Infogalactic strikes down wikipedia, Facebook will soon follow. Their days are numbered.

Techspot is collecting your keystrokes and comments and forming stories and what you think is popular. Then approaching ad companies who feed you advertising based on your interests. Quick - turn off your computer and run to the hills - the sky is falling.

Techspot is collecting your keystrokes and comments and forming stories and what you think is popular. Then approaching ad companies who feed you advertising based on your interests. Quick - turn off your computer and run to the hills - the sky is falling.

No they're not. Check your Ghost. Hit Ctrl-U. Look at the html. Follow the scripts using deobfuscator. Techspot is doing minimal to make money off Google, sharethrough, vigilink. Good snide comment though, if you actually knew something.

No they're not. Check your Ghost. Hit Ctrl-U. Look at the html. Follow the scripts using deobfuscator. Techspot is doing minimal to make money off Google, sharethrough, vigilink. Good snide comment though, if you actually knew something.
lol, puff puff pass. You are tracked dude. Glaring examples: look to the left. Posts, likes, ratings, topics ect. Your keystores (in the form of your response is in my quote) are recorded. Responses to topics are tracked, keywords, etc are fed to their advertiser which computes which ads to serve and to what pages. Sounds like you are new. Do you think they choose the most boring topics or the most exciting ones for people to click and engage? You are tracked, plain and simple. Sorry if this offends, hurts, upsets, or drives you crazy but its true.

Last edited:
Amazing. Those who laughed it off need to go back and reread (or read period) the first 2 paragraphs. Per the writer, Facebook is collection more than just what you click on, but also personal data you would never put on other sites. Stop end engage brain! A comment was made about this site collecting data that can be used for targeted advertising. How much personal data do you expose on this site? Not much. You know you may get solicited about computers, electronics, etc. Are you ever going to be solicited by say a Divorce Lawyer? A wedding planner? Some other profession or service unrelated to electronics?
This type of site, like many others, is a very specific site. You join willingly knowing you may get solicitations from vendors selling services and H/W related to the topics discussed on this site. That is totally different as to what the first two paragraphs are addressing.
Facebook is a social media site. A lot of users are exposing all types personal data - not only about themselves but also about others they friend and even those who they don't friend (and may not even be on Facebook). This is where the real danger lies. Data mining makes it easy to obtain information about anyone if the data exists in the on-line world. Specific information has been found out about myself and my wife. Guess what - a relative had included some of that information in their Facebook posts with other relatives without ever consulting us. When it comes to "social media", most people are too ignorant to realize how it can come back to haunt not only them and their family, but others that they "include in their circle" (with or without permission).
So to sluff it off as its just another site collecting data for targeted ads is stupid.

Amazing. Those who laughed it off need to go back and reread (or read period) the first 2 paragraphs. Per the writer, Facebook is collection more than just what you click on, but also personal data you would never put on other sites. Stop end engage brain! A comment was made about this site collecting data that can be used for targeted advertising. How much personal data do you expose on this site? Not much. You know you may get solicited about computers, electronics, etc. Are you ever going to be solicited by say a Divorce Lawyer? A wedding planner? Some other profession or service unrelated to electronics?
This type of site, like many others, is a very specific site. You join willingly knowing you may get solicitations from vendors selling services and H/W related to the topics discussed on this site. That is totally different as to what the first two paragraphs are addressing.
Facebook is a social media site. A lot of users are exposing all types personal data - not only about themselves but also about others they friend and even those who they don't friend (and may not even be on Facebook). This is where the real danger lies. Data mining makes it easy to obtain information about anyone if the data exists in the on-line world. Specific information has been found out about myself and my wife. Guess what - a relative had included some of that information in their Facebook posts with other relatives without ever consulting us. When it comes to "social media", most people are too ignorant to realize how it can come back to haunt not only them and their family, but others that they "include in their circle" (with or without permission).
So to sluff it off as its just another site collecting data for targeted ads is stupid.
Time to turn off your internet. Run to the hills. Hide as best you can.

Offline? that doesn't sound possible. they can only buy data that's been collected digitally such as cookies from hundreds of different services but offline? I don't think so.

Offline? that doesn't sound possible. they can only buy data that's been collected digitally such as cookies from hundreds of different services but offline? I don't think so.
I think you misunderstood what was meant by "offline". Not what you do on your computer when not on the internet, but what you do when you are away from your computer. For instance, a family member, friend, enemy, yourself, whoever, posts some information about you that you would prefer to keep quiet or between you and whoever is your Facebook friend. That can be picked up. Its bad enough that you end up getting spam when you accidentally click on site, ad, etc. But when someone can "comb" through personal information you thought was kept "somewhat private", they are going too far IMO.

Back