Facebook is still the most popular social network among teens, poll shows

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook social networking teenagers social medial

Back in October, Facebook CFO David Ebersman revealed that young teens were visiting the world’s largest social network slightly less frequently than before. The revelation ignited a firestorm that led many to speculate that teens were fleeing Facebook in droves and the site would even lose 80 percent of its users by 2017.

As it turns out, however, Facebook may not have a teen flight issue after all – at least according to results from a recent poll conducted by Forrester.

facebook social networking teenagers social medial

Of the more than 4,500 online youth aged 12 to 17 polled, nearly 80 percent said they use Facebook – twice as many as Pinterest, Snapchat or Tumblr and more than Instagram and WhatsApp combined. Among those that do use Facebook, 28 percent said they’re on it “all the time” versus other possible responses like “about once a day” or “at least a few times each day.”

Interestingly enough, Forrester’s poll shows that YouTube has an even higher adoption rate than Facebook although teens use Facebook more frequently than they do Google’s video sharing website. These two sites tower above all others in terms of overall adoption.

Forrester concludes, just as Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg noted late last year, that the social network isn’t facing a teen problem. At the time, Sandberg said the reaction to Ebersman’s comments had been blown out of proportion and that overall US teen usage of Facebook remains stable.

Permalink to story.

Probably because no one has anything to really compare it too or be improved by... Facebook will die slowly unless something truely next-gen comes out...

Probably because no one has anything to really compare it too or be improved by... Facebook will die slowly unless something truely next-gen comes out...

It won't die unless they screw it up. The integration is simply too great, the importance of Facebook for marketing, communication, entertainment and so forth are some of the vital parts which hold Facebook together.

Any new Network will have a hard, hard time on getting big enough user database to compete with Facebook and other "similar" Social Networks.

At the moment I can only see Google becoming a lot bigger than what it is now and dominating the Social Networking market.

Thank you Facefart, that when I go for a special day to a spa centre on the coast, all the teenies have their phones out and are instantly posting crap on your website about a day that hasn't even finished yet.

Thank you phone designers, that if they want to take YOUR photo because they think you look famous but can't work out who you are, they can pose for a selfie and make sure you are clearly behind them.

Thank you GOD that the kids are so dumb that they talk out loud as they are typing so you know what they just did as they post the photo and say "I'm in a spa, but who is this behind me?"

Thank you Data Miners and Behavioural Thieves for convincing us to put our brains in the bin and be good little narcissists while living the digital dream.

God? Help? Extinction please.

It won't die unless they screw it up. The integration is simply too great, the importance of Facebook for marketing, communication, entertainment and so forth are some of the vital parts which hold Facebook together.

Any new Network will have a hard, hard time on getting big enough user database to compete with Facebook and other "similar" Social Networks.

At the moment I can only see Google becoming a lot bigger than what it is now and dominating the Social Networking market.
It probably won't die but it'll evolve, hopefully to something useful one day.

Thank you Facefart, that when I go for a special day to a spa centre on the coast, all the teenies have their phones out and are instantly posting crap on your website about a day that hasn't even finished yet.

Thank you phone designers, that if they want to take YOUR photo because they think you look famous but can't work out who you are, they can pose for a selfie and make sure you are clearly behind them.

Thank you GOD that the kids are so dumb that they talk out loud as they are typing so you know what they just did as they post the photo and say "I'm in a spa, but who is this behind me?"

Thank you Data Miners and Behavioural Thieves for convincing us to put our brains in the bin and be good little narcissists while living the digital dream.

God? Help? Extinction please.
LOL.
dawn of the planet of the apes is here. unless the cockroaches rise first. or the rats, turtles, and alligators in the sewers do it first.

I don't use facebook but youtube is a different matter.

Starting with a younger audience is the way Facebook started. It is only natural for for a social site to stay relevant with an audience that has nothing better to do than gossip all day. With anyone else it is a fade and dies over time.

If you can't see the great uses of Facebook, you are doing it wrong.
I'm sorry but for me it doesn't matter how I do it when everyone else helps in that aspect. You say people are doing it wrong. I say the options to do it wrong as you say is Facebooks failure. But then again doesn't right/wrong change with who is looking, which is why this planet is on such turmoil?

I'm sorry but for me it doesn't matter how I do it when everyone else helps in that aspect. You say people are doing it wrong. I say the options to do it wrong as you say is Facebooks failure. But then again doesn't right/wrong change with who is looking, which is why this planet is on such turmoil?

There are multiple reasons why Facebook is useful that I mentioned earlier. I guess it's similar to some people who don't find public transport useful.

There are multiple reasons why Facebook is useful that I mentioned earlier. I guess it's similar to some people who don't find public transport useful.
Public transport eh? That all depends in which country you live. The last time I used any form of public transport was back in the 80's if you don't take flying into account.

Last edited:
Public transport eh? That all depends in which country you live. The last time I used any form of public transport was back in the 80's.

While billions use it on daily basis and find its use.

Marketing, Communication, Authentication, News and plenty of other benefits of Facebook, G+ and other similar Networks.

Also not only teens use Facebook, my bloody 60yr old uncle does, my mum, older cousins and pretty much any age and background.

Last edited:
Public transport eh? That all depends in which country you live.
Even that should be broken down to part of the country. The biggest difference would be outside larger cities that don't have public transportation. Sure there maybe church or school buses, but that is not the same as subways or taxi services. Neither subway or taxi service can be found here within a 30 mile radius. I would say 60 but I'm not sure about taxi service in one town. There is probably not a subway within 500 miles.

Even that should be broken down to part of the country. The biggest difference would be outside larger cities that don't have public transportation. Sure there maybe church or school buses, but that is not the same as subways or taxi services. Neither subway or taxi service can be found here within a 30 mile radius. I would say 60 but I'm not sure about taxi service in one town. There is probably not a subway within 500 miles.
Absolutely. Our public transport is dominated by mini bus taxi's so it's imperative to have your own transport because not every city is nearby the railway and we don't have anything that resembles a subway. If you're one of the millions of unfortunates who don't own a car in this country then sadly you're forced to use mini bus taxi's.

While billions use it on daily basis and find its use.

Marketing, Communication, Authentication, News and plenty of other benefits of Facebook, G+ and other similar Networks.

Also not only teens use Facebook, my bloody 60yr old uncle does, my mum, older cousins and pretty much any age and background.
Of course. If you like it, use it. It's your prerogative. I'm just one of the billions of others who don't although I do have a FB, Twitter, G+ etc. accounts. It's just not for me and... did I mention billions of others?

If you can't see the great uses of Facebook, you are doing it wrong.

Remind me again why its useful for me to know what kind of dump you had and what color snot you found up your nose?

If your a data miner or the NSA then facebook is amazing but for people who actually live a little or play games its amazingly useless or should I say for a stalker its the best tool out their!

No. I don't have any use for it at all.
Remind me again why its useful for me to know what kind of dump you had and what color snot you found up your nose?

If your a data miner or the NSA then facebook is amazing but for people who actually live a little or play games its amazingly useless or should I say for a stalker its the best tool out their!

I rarely see friends of mine post bullshit as such, they share a lot of bullshit but I don't care for it (the ignore/defriend/unfollow/unlike tools are there, set in place).

I like the pages that I want to keep updated with and favorite friends I want to see live feeds.

Communication is extremely easy, I don't need to use text services and can keep my chat history across multiple devices.

I can also login to multiple websites using Facebook login API (or other) rather then using the bullshit email format registration.

You can keep your data private to shield away from miners or stalkers. NSA? Well, too shay, you are already on the Internet, might as well disconnect from it if you are that paranoid.

Oh god, I bloody hate this "live a little", "people with lives", "get a life", are you implying those who use Facebook anywhere from 30mins up to an hour, two or more have no lives or very little natural interaction? I know people that "live" more than "little" and still use Facebook for what ever reason.

If you want to keep anonymous keep anonymous, who gives a **** about stalkers? Like, in all honesty. You have tools in place to prevent such problems occurring.

Oh and like I said, marketing plays a HUGE and I mean EXTREMELY HUGE role on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, G+ and so forth. If you are not on there, the reach of your businesses is going to be limited. Banners ads or video prerolls are now near useless (outside of brand building ofc) due to adblocks and lack of clicks. Facebook & Twitter and their advertisement opportunities as well as interaction with your fan/user base through those networks is extremely useful and important. In today's age, if you are not on Social Media, you are hindering your business. This is a key indicator that FB and other Social Networks are popular, important and nearly all businesses are creating some from of interaction through Social Media and their clients/fans. (by businesses I also mean celebs, communities, content creators etc). That and also increased SEO by being on Social Media. It all ties back down to the user and how they might find Facebook useful.

Of course if you don't care about being updated with your favorite ''celeb'', business, community (etc) or just don't care about FB at all, then I don't know what you are doing here in this thread.

Sure it's a gimmick, but so is every other single website. It can all be classified as "useless" but it makes lives easier, some more than others ofc.

I could honestly tap into pros, cons and other points but id probably be here for an hour or two, pretty useless. Apologies, no hostility intended.

Sorry not up for reading the bible on techspot, I found IFLS on facebook love it! but most people/friends just post crap all the time on it and if they want to reach me whats app me or text me but if I want to stalk someone facebook all the way :)

Sorry not up for reading the bible on techspot, I found IFLS on facebook love it! but most people/friends just post crap all the time on it and if they want to reach me whats app me or text me but if I want to stalk someone facebook all the way :)

It's hardly heavy reading material but fair enough, luckily I am not a slow typer. WhatsApp is great, shame only fraction of my friends use it :/ Then I have to start getting Kik, GroupMe, argh everything is so dispersed.

I don't understand why there are so many people hates facebook, despite some or maybe most of them were facebook users in the past.. Did facebook stole or rob your childhood/youth life just like Star Wars did?

I however think that the future isn't in Facebook, but in local- local social apps. These networks, including Meetey, Nextdoor and some others, bring something new, refreshing, in the world of social networks.

Back