Facebook just added paid sticker packs to its mobile messaging app

By dkpope
Nov 16, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Adding crazy or cute stickers to your Facebook Messenger conversations just got more expensive. For the first time, Facebook has added paid stickers to the Messenger mobile apps. To access them you need to use the PicoCandy app for Android or iOS to browse and buy stickers that range in price from $0.99 to $1.99. TechCrunch reports that this clunky experience is just the first version and the sticker store will someday be integrated into Messenger.

Right now there are nine sticker packs for sale. If you look around you can find some free ones and a whole lot of stickers from McDonald’s. Branded stickers have been around here and there – Lego stickers, Despicable Me stickers – but this new feature is different because it could make Facebook a lot of money.

A popular messaging service in Asia, named Line, earned $10 million per month by selling stickers to its 230 million users in 2013. Line’s average revenue per user has continued to increase since then, even as its user growth has slowed.

230 million users is just a drop in the Facebook bucket – their user base is 1.5 billion globally – so there’s a lot of potential money to make through monetizing stickers in Messenger.

Permalink to story.

2. bob333

bob333 TS Enthusiast Posts: 49   +11

Pay to send pictures which can be found in Google for free!
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +2,171

In a few short years, "I quit Facebook before quitting Facebook was cool" will become "I quit Facebook before it cost money to quit Facebook."
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

People are willing to part with dough for stickers??? I would never have thought.