Facebook simple popup

TheDreams

So I recently noticed a popup on techspot that spiked my interest, Facebook Simple. I recently remember the poll that Julio made about removing all ads for a fee and was wondering if this was being implemented? I've never seen it before and was curious.

Attachments

• advert.png
    advert.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 17
@Julio Franco This is a big issue. These annoying ads can really turn people away from the site OR even worse, make them turn on an adblocker. I understand the ad situation is difficult but I feel it should be a top priority (if it isn't already) to get the ads right and less intrusive.

Hmm; Adverts are a means to generate cash flow to keep TS online. We all enjoy the access, but somehow easily forget that it takes $$ to host,admin & maintain any site.

Yes, adBlockers are one approach and specially crafted entries in the
etc\hosts file is another technique the client can easily do for {him/her}self.

The screen real estate consumed however is a website design issue, and for mobile devices, OMG, really must be avoided altogether.

That ad doesn't look like something we would show on TechSpot since we don't do pops at all but also because it looks kind of cheap. I'll still ask around but in the meantime make sure it's not coming from one of your browser addons or other source. Thanks.

I'll still ask around but in the meantime make sure it's not coming from one of your browser addons or other source. Thanks.
I didn't think it would've come from another source since I have adblock enabled on all other websites except techspot, would it?

It looks more like spyware. I just cleaned out a computer for a friend. Who had fake ads coming up on firefox. Like this.

Hmm, I just scanned my system with norton that I got a few days ago, wouldn't that get rid of spyware?

Try scanning it with a good malware program like. Malware Bytes Anti Malware program. Or Super Anti Spyware. See if this helps.

A few dozen of my co-workers are seeing this popup on our website too. It's 100% not FB official, because they'd never remove all of their ads - ads are its entire business. We were thinking it could be malware leaking through one of our dozen third-party analytics data or re-marketing tags/pixels. Do others have this issue?

This particular ad has been popping up on TS, Ars, and a few others. I'm reporting it to Ars, as it does not have a closing mechanism, and can only be dismissed with a reload or waiting approximately 10 seconds for it to timeout.

A Google Forum post (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/qLeZnUGqSOY) about an unrelated issue ("ghost" MySpace music tabs appearing with no user interaction or while afk). I noticed that this was occurring to me as well, and didn't start until I began seeing the "Facebook Simple" popover, both occurring when I installed a couple of Chrome extensions from Diigo. They may be unrelated, but I have deleted all Diigo Chrome extensions as a test, and I will report back if ad reoccurs.

This exact same popup is appearing on our website and nobody can figure out where it comes from. Our site DJDeals.com uses ADDTHIS but besides that, we can't think of another possible source. I do use Awesome Screenshot per the post above, but the popup is only appearing on our website, not on other sites I visit.

Back