Facebook starts rolling out premium autoplay video ads in News Feeds

Himanshu Arora

Its been quite some time since Facebook started testing video ads. Today, the social networking giant announced that it has started integrating these ads into the accounts of its more than 1.2 billion members. "Brands now have another way of engaging people on Facebook with compelling video experiences", Facebook's product marketing manager Susan Buckner said in a post on the company's Business blog.

Each 15-second video ad will start playing silently as it appears on the News Feed, and stop when scroll past. If a user clicks on the ad, it will expand into a sound-enabled full-screen view. As for the rates, Facebook did not provide any information, but online reports indicate that daily spots aimed at wide audiences and prime times could cost as much as $US2.5 million/day. The company is currently working with only a small set of advertisers.

As far as the user experience is concerned, Facebook will see that the ads aren't annoying or explicit. The social networking giant is working with a company called Ace Metrix which will review the creative quality of video ads to make sure that they have "meaningfulness and emotional resonance".

According to an NBC report, the new video ads should begin appearing in users' News Feeds on both mobile and desktop by late April.

Permalink to story.

That's super! Er, NOT!(n)

When are the imbeciles on the front end of these schemes, and the advertisers themselves going to realize, you can pay for and place as many ads as you like, but the consumer only has so much money to spend. Then, at some point the law of diminishing returns has to kick in.

Besides, you'd think at some point, even the least tech savvy are going to get sick of this, and start installing ad & script killers.

I'm not even going bother saying,"I'm never going to join Facebook", as I was never going to join it in the first place.

I subscribe to, "Guitar Player Magazine". Hell, you go through a dozen pages of ads, before you even hit the index. That's reasonably annoying, even in spite of the fact those are ads I don't mind seeing.

Last edited:
When are the imbeciles on the front end of these schemes, and the advertisers themselves going to realize, you can pay for and place as many ads as you like, but the consumer only has so much money to spend. Then, at some point the law of diminishing returns has to kick in.

This is like telemarketting, they have roughly (according to an article read on what not do do when they call you so they stop pestering on a friendly tech page) less than 3% or maybe 4% (I don't remember the actual % but it might be even lower) of engagement with a client. So as long as they keep on showing their ads they will eventually make a % buy something, or maybe be interested and keep you lingering.

There are people that won't buy anything, at all. There are people who have money to buy everything they advertise and more. As long as they are able to do some quality targetting they will sell.

Of course there are some ads that actually annoy you and make you hate the company.

...[ ]....There are people that won't buy anything, at all. There are people who have money to buy everything they advertise and more. As long as they are able to do some quality targetting they will sell.
Do you agree the more the market gets flooded with competing ads, any individual company's ROI, has to diminish? So you have to increase your advertising budget for less and less results.

You can inundate me with all the ads you like. I simply won't buy anything I don't want, or isn't my idea to buy.

I guess putting it out there so I can see it constitutes advertising effectiveness. OTOH, "Flo" from Progressive can yak till her head falls off, I'll keep renewing with Geico. Who incidentally called me, and offered me insurance by virtue of the fact I was with their company anyway, but under an assigned risk policy. In a quirky reversal of fortune, (and ad copy), their 15 minute phone call saved me money, not the other way around!(y)

Of course there are many ads that actually annoy you tremendously, and make you loathe many companies.

I touched that up a bit for you...;)

But the endless FIOS versus Comcast TV feud, is a classic example of what you're saying. But yet you need a phone company. It's like being caught between a rock and a ton of hardened bull poop.

Yeah I do like your version :p

Well it's the internet, I've seen some pretty nifty things on well targetted adds over the last couple of months, hope it's kept that way and as long as it's not intrusive, I don't mind them for using their service.

Back