Facebook takes on traditional e-mail with Social Inbox

By Emil
Nov 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has announced a new product that will compete directly with the e-mail services provided by Yahoo, Microsoft, Google, and AOL. Facebook believes traditional e-mail is too slow and cumbersome; it needs be brought into the modern world of messaging. The site has thus launched Facebook Messages, which merges texts, online chats, and e-mails into one central hub. Users see all of them in their Social Inbox and can reply in any way they want. The social networking giant sa...

Read the whole story
  2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +45

So It is a gimped, featureless email without being "email", tailor made for Facebook's spam-like updates (if you don't limit/turn them off) in mind. I have enough trust issues with that site as it were nor am I obsessed with the site like other people, so I'll probably pass up any invitation.
  3. taea00

taea00 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102

For the Facebook crowd they're geniuses. Facebook aficionados are going to love this feature I'm sure. Too many f's in that last sentence?

I am NOT a Facebook person though and I'll never say I understand the social networking thing. This isn't going to take off for anyone other than Facebook users though and even all of their Facebook base isn't even going to sign up for it. It'll be a vast majority, but you'll never hear someone say "I joined Facebook for the awesome email!"

It's tailored by Facebook devs for Facebook users. I'll stick with my gmail thanks.
  4. maestromasada

maestromasada Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

500 million @facebuk accounts.... what a cake for spammers, the end of the world is near
  5. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

i'm glad that i'm not a facebook fan. gmail is still the best for me.
  6. f u c k facebook

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.