TechSpot

Facebook tightens its gun policy under pressure from gun control groups

1. Facebook on Wednesday announced major policy changes related to the use of its website (and popular photo sharing app Instagram) for marketing illegal firearm sales amid pressure from gun control groups. "We will not permit people to post offers to...

Read more

2. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 85   +12

Damn I should of bought a gun while I had the chance....

3. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 956   +273

I'm all for following the law but there have been illegal gun sales and purchases since guns were around. I don't really have a problem with this policy (although I don't use FB anyway) but if anyone thinks it is going to help reduce crimes committed with a firearm, they are sorely mistaken.

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

I thought this was gonna be about posting pics of guns lol

5. I use to think that if I had a time machine I should kill Hitler, Stalin or similar.

After reading THIS article, I know I should go back in time and kick Zuckerberg's dad so hard in the testicles that little Mark never makes insemination grade sperm.

What a travesty Mark Zuckerberg has wrecked upon the earth. I think he is indeed the Antichrist.

6. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 283   +132

Facebook is bowing to the pressure of ignorant political nutjobs. They just shot themselves in the foot and took a side in this debate, well played.

Now whatever may be construed as 'selling weapons without background checks or across state lines' is in the hands of Facebook. It's not their right, not their job to determine this. They just created a whole lot of unnecessary work for themselves.

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,551   +2,353

What they're unwittingly suggesting is that it's much better for illegal gun dealers and their customers to not leave an electronic paper trail on their service. Because feel safe.

They have every right in the world to say you can't do this or that on Facebook. Similarly, their users have every right to dump FB for G+, or to dump social media altogether.

MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,882

Besides, Mark Zuckerberg didn't invent social media, Monty Python did:

At the very least, they invented the "internet forum concept"!

Darkshadoe and davislane1 like this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,048

So does this mean that they may also clamp down on illicit drug dealing and murder for hire scams? Spoilsports. XP

10. captaincranky

I thought the FBI was running those as entrapment, no?

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,048

Most likely with congress being their biggest market.

12. Saintnsinner

Saintnsinner TS Rookie Posts: 56   +11

Private gun sales between private citizens minus any other illegal activity is perfectly legal. We don't need gun control we need ***** control.

13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

If by id10t control you mean better mental health facilities and treatment then I agree completely. You're right, gun control doesn't solve anything, but this isn't gun control. Gun control is about making new laws to prevent ownership, this is just a private company saying they're not going to help people break the law.
    I'd say in the public eye, it's a better position to say you're not giving people tools to break the law than it is to say you're knowingly allowing illegal activity on your site. It's not like anyone buying or selling guns illegally on FB is a paying customer.

14. captaincranky

Dude, this was a big thing about a week ago. You should, "have", bought a gun while you had the chance.

Besides, you can't get a license for a hand gun if you don't know when to use a verb instead of a preposition, ("of"). The danger to others is considerable. Irresponsibility with English leads to irresponsibility in other areas of one's life.

To the upside, you no longer have to write an essay on the SAT's. So, no one will notice the grammar issue, if or when, you have to take them!(y)

15. ON the upside, surely... :p

16. Gun control sponsored by
    a: fascists
    b: communists
    c: feminists

17. captaincranky

Well, most likely not. Methinks, "to", indicates moving toward the "upside".

Were you to not have to take the SAT's at all, then you would have indeed "arrived" at the upside, and in fact, be "on", (*), it..:p:p (Back at ya).

(*) "The upside", has also been referred to from time to time as, "the catbird seat". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catbird_seat

You forgot knife wielding lesbians....:oops:

18. Oh! I see what's happened; I read your post in English, whereas you wrote it in Americanglish. We'll call that a draw, then. :D
    Were I not to have to take the SAT's what? I took nothing that belongs to the SAT...

*BOOM*, etc. ...
    ;)

19. captaincranky

Oh, I see! (How about if I throw in an oxymoron to liven this discussion up a bit)?

In any event, you're apparently not "indigenous", to the "United States of Formerly England, France, and Spain, so you wouldn't have to deal with our, "SAT".

Don't take that to mean you don't have to know lots of s*** though.....;) England's not exactly, "3rd world"........, (at least not yet).