Facebook to buy drone maker Titan Aerospace for $60 million

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook is reportedly in talks to purchase New Mexico-based drone maker Titan Aerospace for $60 million. The social networking giant isn’t interested in competing with Amazon in the retail delivery space but instead wants to use the company’s technology to bolster their Internet.org initiative.

Titan Aerospace specializes in making near-orbital drones that use solar power to stay in flight for up to five years at a time. Facebook’s plan is to use these drones to help deliver Internet access to parts of the world that are largely without – like Africa.

Sources claim Zuckerberg and company want to initially build 11,000 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), model Solara 60. As seen in the clip above, these drones are best described as atmospheric satellites because they can conduct many of the same operations of a true orbital satellite at a fraction of the cost.

Last summer, Facebook’s CEO outlined a plan to connect the next five billion people in the world to the Internet. We may seem like a very connected planet but the truth is that the majority of Earth’s inhabitants still don’t have access to the web. That’s something Zuckerberg and a handful of other tech firms hope to change over the coming years.

The idea to connect the world using a fleet of high-flying machinery isn’t entirely new as Google unveiled a similar plan for Internet coverage last year. Project Loon aims to use hot air balloons equipped with solar panels to transmit a web connection to those living within range.

Permalink to story.

Out of all the things that Facebook could purchase this is the most random company to purchase. Now I understand why they want it, but its weird to see a Social Network purchase a Drone maker.

Wow, simply wow, an aerospace on semi-orbital flight that can last for up to five years in orbit using just solar power is simply wow!

Out of all the things that Facebook could purchase this is the most random company to purchase. Now I understand why they want it, but its weird to see a Social Network purchase a Drone maker.

Yes it is indeed weird, up until now I thought on some form of tracking :p but satelite usage to increase the cover of internet around the glove through semi-orbit flying drones... thats clearly something no one would think out of the buy :p

50 meter wingspan? That's crazy! The video doesn't do the thing justice. I'm excited to see some actual footage.

I am surprised google didnt buy this company up to be honest it doesnt exactly make sense for facebook if you really think about it...

I would think Google's idea of using balloons is better than using drones, either way both have pro's and cons.

I wish they would keep it domestic. Why not give america free wifi? Also, much of africa doesn't even have electricity. Worry about that first.

Drones that last 4-5yrs and use solar energy are far superior then balloons...
I'm no expert on the subject but in my estimation a drone must have a motor, ailerons, rudder and elevators which are all moving parts, in my experience moving parts have a tendency to wear out after time. On the other hand balloons have no moving parts. All things being equal the balloon should be able to stay aloft longer than the drone (not to mention cheaper to make and maintain) but as I alluded to in my earlier post both will have their pro's and cons.

I wish they would keep it domestic. Why not give america free wifi? Also, much of africa doesn't even have electricity. Worry about that first.
I'm an African and we're not much different to the rest of the world. Have you ever been to Africa and seen it? You'll be amazed just how many countries and millions of people do have access reliable electricity. On the other hand I have traveled the world and seen a lot of different countries and continents which includes the good old US of A.
Facebook isn't in the business of supplying electricity to the entire word but it is interested as getting as many followers as possible. Oh yes, here in South Africa, where I live, we even have Apple products and iStores. :)

I'm an African and we're not much different to the rest of the world. Have you ever been to Africa and seen it? You'll be amazed just how many countries and millions of people do have access reliable electricity. On the other hand I have traveled the world and seen a lot of different countries and continents which includes the good old US of A.
Facebook isn't in the business of supplying electricity to the entire word but it is interested as getting as many followers as possible. Oh yes, here in South Africa, where I live, we even have Apple products and iStores. :)

I think we associate africa as being the desert with bad living conditions, aids, no electricity, garbage dump, non-stop killing thanks to TV documentaries about Africa showing the only bad side and areas to africa lol I have seriously never seen a TV show about africa that is on a good side of africa with electricity and good living conditions...

I think we associate africa as being the desert with bad living conditions, aids, no electricity, garbage dump, non-stop killing thanks to TV documentaries about Africa showing the only bad side and areas to africa lol I have seriously never seen a TV show about africa that is on a good side of africa with electricity and good living conditions...
That's just human nature for you but you can take my word for it, it's not as bad as you're led to believe. Sure there are poverty stricken , AIDS ridden, crime ridden communities in many countries and communities but Africa isn't the only continent that experiences it. If you ever get the chance, do yourself a favor and visit South Africa, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out how advanced and beautiful it is, not to mention friendly.

Kinda fishy here, what if US government is also involved? I mean they can mixed in 1 or 2 spying drones or maybe armed Predator drone within these facebook's drones watching you from the sky :D

That's just human nature for you but you can take my word for it, it's not as bad as you're led to believe. Sure there are poverty stricken , AIDS ridden, crime ridden communities in many countries and communities but Africa isn't the only continent that experiences it. If you ever get the chance, do yourself a favor and visit South Africa, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out how advanced and beautiful it is, not to mention friendly.[/quote]

I am also from South Africa and yes this is a country and not the south point of Africa. Most of Africa's countries if not all has electricity. I can kind of see you point as how TV can give you a perception of how a country looks. We have a lot of local TV shows but I assume they do not compete with your local shows and thus you would have never seen them. (Vet Koek paleis as example) Please take Skidmarksdeluxe advise and come see our beautiful country. Our
Government is currupt like hell but everything is still working ok. You dont have to fly back to USA to uplaod your safary pics on facebook.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure it's like that in the main cities of SOUTH AFRICA, what about the outer towns, villages? how about the neighbour countries? The thing is "Africa" is a big continent, where as South Africa is a Country, there are lot of places in Africa where tribes are still a big thing, warlords, aids, whatnot exists.

It's like saying I'm from South America but I'm great where I am, yes, in Chile, in a big city of course things are great. How about people in Brazil, Amazonia, they are still from South America but miles away from any kind of "civilization".

I'm no expert on the subject but in my estimation a drone must have a motor, ailerons, rudder and elevators which are all moving parts, in my experience moving parts have a tendency to wear out after time. On the other hand balloons have no moving parts. All things being equal the balloon should be able to stay aloft longer than the drone (not to mention cheaper to make and maintain) but as I alluded to in my earlier post both will have their pro's and cons.
In some way so do mechanical clocks, they have a lot of small pieces that are springed every couple times in a single seconds, though they are able to last for decades because of the parts that are used on clocks, that's why expensive mechanical clocks are that expensive. Your hard disk drive has moving parts and they work for a very long time under heavy usage.

I'm pretty sure it's like that in the main cities of SOUTH AFRICA, what about the outer towns, villages? how about the neighbour countries? The thing is "Africa" is a big continent, where as South Africa is a Country, there are lot of places in Africa where tribes are still a big thing, warlords, aids, whatnot exists.

It's like saying I'm from South America but I'm great where I am, yes, in Chile, in a big city of course things are great. How about people in Brazil, Amazonia, they are still from South America but miles away from any kind of "civilization".
I am from a small city in South Africa (Uitenhage) and with internet speeds of 15Mb/s and all of the townships as we call them has free power and water with most of them having cellphones for internet access. Even our neighbour country Zimbabwe (2nd poorest in the world) has power for most of its population. My point being, Africa is not that bad as seen on TV.

Please learn how to quote, you can preview your post or edit it once you have published.

How about Tenke in Congo? How about the OTHER neighbours? How about those places you can't see animals because starving people have eaten them all. I'm pretty sure where you live is great, not EVERYWHERE nor the most of Africa.

Facebook buys WhatsApp and then drone maker.. let's connect the dots here.. so, you can control the drones via whatsapp and then whatever your activities with the drones it'll be automatically updated to your facebook? or, now fb and whatsapp users can take the picture from the drones' camera then you put it up to your facebook?

Back