TechSpot

Facebook working on a mobile news app called "Reader"

By David Tom
Jun 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook is developing a newspaper platform for mobile devices. Formally called Reader, the service will act as a news aggregator that pulls together a multitude of stories coming from fellow Facebook users, as well as established publishers.

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,953   +900

No thanks, I will stick with Newsify + Feedly Cloud.
    H3llion likes this.
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

OK, I know a lot of people have been saying for years that the doom of Facebbok is near. But let's be honest, over 800 million active users, was it? It'll take a lot more than hipsters to stop that train.

With that said, there's no way in hell this thing is going to succeed. We all know why people use Facebook, and it definitely is not for news. Facebook is trying so hard to squeeze as much profit as possible out of a platform whose main appeal is also its main weakness: it's free. You could say they are trying to turn Facebook into some sort of F2P social network.

It's a bizarre thing to see, indeed. But we are human, and we like to see others fail. I think I might enjoy this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.