Facebook's inaugural diversity report dominated by white males

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook diversity report bad yahoo google diversity

Facebook is the latest in what’s likely to be a long list of major tech companies to publish workplace diversity data in the coming weeks and months. The data was published on Wednesday and just as we’ve seen from Google, LinkedIn and Yahoo, the social networking giant is largely populated by white males.

Looking at all of Facebook’s employees, we find that 69 percent are male and 57 percent are white. Asians represent the next largest ethnic group at 34 percent while the Hispanic population represents just four percent of the total workforce.

In the tech sector, males are responsible for a whopping 85 percent of jobs. Whites hold 53 percent of tech positions followed closely by Asians at 41 percent. Again, Hispanics barely make a blip on the radar at just three percent.

It’s a slightly different story when looking at non-tech jobs as women nearly edge out men at 47 percent. Whites once again dominate in terms of ethnicity as they hold 63 percent of non-tech jobs followed by Asians at 24 percent and Hispanics at six percent.

Last but not least are senior level jobs, 77 percent of which are held by men. Those of white ethnicity represent nearly three-quarters of all senior positions at 74 percent while Asians hold 19 percent of the top jobs. Only four percent of senior level jobs are held by Hispanics.

As Facebook readily admits, they have a lot of work to do. 

Permalink to story.

All I am seeing is the numbers are coming out very close between all these big companies. It tells me that these companies ARE hiring equally but that the demographics with lower numbers just are not applying or going for degrees for those jobs. You can't exactly keep your company at the top when you are hiring sub-par applicants just to fill some diversity quota. Stop forcing the companies to hire applicants just because of their skin color or gender and start trying to convince them to get the degrees that put them there in the first place.

When will they start a survey asking which sex is the most likely candidate for using the breast pump? After all both surveys are equally useful and entertaining.

Well seeing as 65-70% of the United States is classified as white I don't really see an issue with 57% of their employees being white. If every company was staffed with an equal amount of each demographic there would be millions without jobs. Hiring based on skin color is ridiculous whether you are trying to exclude minorities or promote "diversity". Buuuttt it's a good headline, gets people worked up, gets views.

I'm going to attempt to make a case for why diversity is so important in business and society. My argument is highly nuanced, so if anybody needs further explanation, I'll be happy to elaborate:

Noodles.

And there you have it. That's why diversity is important.

Rather too much was made of the face that the most numerous racial group is "white" - Facebook appears to be less white than the US population (half of foreign offices appear to be in Europe), and the leadership statistics are unsurprising given where it started. Apart from the perpetual lack of other groups in technology, the main item of interest is how well Asians are doing there.

If an Indian-owned business hires 100% Indians, no one says anything.
If a Hispanics-owned business hires 100% Hispanics, no one says anything.
If an Asian-owned business hires 100% Asians, no one says anything.

Yet. If a "White"-owned business hires 100% "White" people. RACIST.

It's also incredibly privileged, which isn't fair either.

those first three are usually classified as minorities, at least in america

How about we throw up these stats against how many women graduate with IT degrees?
Click the link for the Google version of this and it says that women make up 18% of all computer science degrees in the US and 15% of the tech jobs are held by females at Facebook so it seems right on track to me BTW at Google 17% of tech jobs are female filled. It seems like the companies are being fair with regards to hiring. Go through those links in story (the Google, LinkedIn and Yahoo ones) and you see that the numbers are almost the same and all very close to what the % of the demographic that have a degree in computer science. They honestly can not be any more equal or fair right now.

those first three are usually classified as minorities, at least in america

I think he means Indian as in from East Asia, not from the reservation.

And no, Indians of the East Asia type are not usually classified as minority, even though there are less of them here than blacks and Hispanics.

América Móvil, the largest company in Mexico- I doubt has enough blacks, whites, and asians. They are Evil.

How is it weird that a company in a male dominated/interest market that is in a country that is 70% white people not be mostly white male workers? Are the supposed to go out of there way to hire other ethnicities and sexes even though the majority of there applicants are white males?

How is it weird that a company in a male dominated/interest market that is in a country that is 70% white people not be mostly white male workers? Are they supposed to go out of there way to hire other ethnicities and sexes even though the majority of there applicants are white males?

According to the media and social activist, yes. To the equality crowd people are only as meritorious as the statistics that can be manipulated to support the chosen narrative.

Facebook workers that are males: 57% White vs. 34% Asian
Senior Level Jobs: 74% White vs 19% Asian

Those Asians need to work on getting more senior level jobs!

I'm Hispanic, I get cut backs at school and I am not complaining. :) sorry folks Affirmative action FTW ha ha aha.

Back