Facebook's inaugural diversity report dominated by white males

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook is the latest in what's likely to be a long list of major tech companies to publish workplace diversity data in the coming weeks and months. The data was published on Wednesday and just as we've seen from Google,...

Read more
  2. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 335   +56

All I am seeing is the numbers are coming out very close between all these big companies. It tells me that these companies ARE hiring equally but that the demographics with lower numbers just are not applying or going for degrees for those jobs. You can't exactly keep your company at the top when you are hiring sub-par applicants just to fill some diversity quota. Stop forcing the companies to hire applicants just because of their skin color or gender and start trying to convince them to get the degrees that put them there in the first place.
    H3llion and at0mic_Mike like this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,673   +510

...by white nerds, to be exact, with the biggest one on top.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  4. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 495   +82

Great, another useless article about a tech company's "diversity" problem.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,824   +1,435

When will they start a survey asking which sex is the most likely candidate for using the breast pump? After all both surveys are equally useful and entertaining.
  6. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 632   +116

Well seeing as 65-70% of the United States is classified as white I don't really see an issue with 57% of their employees being white. If every company was staffed with an equal amount of each demographic there would be millions without jobs. Hiring based on skin color is ridiculous whether you are trying to exclude minorities or promote "diversity". Buuuttt it's a good headline, gets people worked up, gets views.
  7. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,260   +464

I'm going to attempt to make a case for why diversity is so important in business and society. My argument is highly nuanced, so if anybody needs further explanation, I'll be happy to elaborate:

Noodles.

And there you have it. That's why diversity is important.
  8. Rather too much was made of the face that the most numerous racial group is "white" - Facebook appears to be less white than the US population (half of foreign offices appear to be in Europe), and the leadership statistics are unsurprising given where it started. Apart from the perpetual lack of other groups in technology, the main item of interest is how well Asians are doing there.
  9. If an Indian-owned business hires 100% Indians, no one says anything.
    If a Hispanics-owned business hires 100% Hispanics, no one says anything.
    If an Asian-owned business hires 100% Asians, no one says anything.

Yet. If a "White"-owned business hires 100% "White" people. RACIST.
  10. davislane1

It's also incredibly privileged, which isn't fair either.
  11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,333   +381

How about we throw up these stats against how many women graduate with IT degrees?
    Cobalt006 and davislane1 like this.

12. those first three are usually classified as minorities, at least in america
  13. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,252   +142

Why do we insist on looking for ways to divide people by gender and race?

It only perpetuates the bullshit.
    Cobalt006 and cliffordcooley like this.
  14. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 335   +56

Click the link for the Google version of this and it says that women make up 18% of all computer science degrees in the US and 15% of the tech jobs are held by females at Facebook so it seems right on track to me BTW at Google 17% of tech jobs are female filled. It seems like the companies are being fair with regards to hiring. Go through those links in story (the Google, LinkedIn and Yahoo ones) and you see that the numbers are almost the same and all very close to what the % of the demographic that have a degree in computer science. They honestly can not be any more equal or fair right now.
  15. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 495   +82

I think he means Indian as in from East Asia, not from the reservation.

And no, Indians of the East Asia type are not usually classified as minority, even though there are less of them here than blacks and Hispanics.
  16. América Móvil, the largest company in Mexico- I doubt has enough blacks, whites, and asians. They are Evil.
  17. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 325   +46

How is it weird that a company in a male dominated/interest market that is in a country that is 70% white people not be mostly white male workers? Are the supposed to go out of there way to hire other ethnicities and sexes even though the majority of there applicants are white males?
  18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,824   +1,435

The perfect way to keep racism alive, continue to look at racist charts!
    Hexic and davislane1 like this.
  19. davislane1

According to the media and social activist, yes. To the equality crowd people are only as meritorious as the statistics that can be manipulated to support the chosen narrative.
  20. mctommy

mctommy TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 104   +13

Facebook workers that are males: 57% White vs. 34% Asian
    Senior Level Jobs: 74% White vs 19% Asian

Those Asians need to work on getting more senior level jobs!
  21. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,588   +864

22. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 370   +69

I'm Hispanic, I get cut backs at school and I am not complaining. :) sorry folks Affirmative action FTW ha ha aha.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.